No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bottle maker's paperweight...... Where to see an image please ?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Bottle maker's paperweight...... Where to see an image please ?
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:59:39 PM »
Hi, Recently I heard a recording of Harry Dyer ( Whitefriers ) and he mentioned " Bottle maker's paperweights"
 He said they were usually done in green glass and were made as friggers. They were made by pouring some pot clay onto a gather of glass and letting it run down. It was then coated in another layer of glass and made. He described the effect created as looking like moth's wings or leaves that had been etched into the glass. I presume that if you did not realize it was clay you would think it was etched.
 I have tried to look for these on the web but have not found any. Can someone supply me with a link to an image. I presume that if I had a book on paperweights there would be some in there. Many thanks Patrick...... 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bottle maker's paperweight...... Where to see an image please ?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:23:41 PM »
These weights are generally referred to as "dump" paperweights rather than bottle weights. A search on ebay using "dump" and "paperweight" should be good.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »
From the description given by Patrick, I don't think the "pot clay run onto glass" weights were much like the regular Dump items we know and love (or hate!).

I have not, until now, heard of any of these Whitefriars friggers and I am fairly sure that none of the books on paperweights show anything like them.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
Hi, Many thanks for those ebay links, not 100% sure they are what Harry Dyer was describeing but maybe the first one is ?
 I have listened to his words again and he says " a paperweight with a shadow in it, like it has engraving inside it.................. you get a spoon with very wet pot clay and pour it on , turn it and let it run down and it comes out just like a silver leaf or something "
He uses the term "bottle maker's paperweight" a few times.
 I do know he was interested in paperweights and made one to his own design whilst at Whitefriars called the " Eye " . This has a small area of coloured glass that looks as it it could have been dropped or poured onto the top and then covered in another layer of glass .Perhaps he got the idea from the clay ?
 Regards Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand