No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Buyer beware  (Read 1927 times)

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Buyer beware
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:47 PM »
I have seen twice now on Ebay, Millefiori paperwieghts that were scratch signed(Or acid etched, can't tell) with the signature "Veni" and sold as Murano. They were clearly Chinese. In one case the seller said they bought the pieces from a European seller.

Both auctions are still active so I did not post them. If the mods wish, I can post the links.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Buyer beware
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
I've noticed these, one would think the Veni sign. lends itself to be confused with Venini for those who have not seen real Venini marks.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »
It does seem as if the producers of these items are now using Italian sounding names in order to make buyers believe they may be from Murano.  Isn't 'Verrucci' another of these I recall seeing mentioned? 

Also, I have noticed that there have recently been appearing on ebay and in charity shops large numbers of the 'Bohemian' faceted flower weights, often with frit names in the top.  Could it be that someone somewhere is churning out copies of these?  There are rather too many, looking very new and 'in perfect condition' for them to be genuinely old Bohemian weights!  Well, IMHO anyway. What do other collectors think? 
Leni

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 03:57:16 PM »
Leni,
I have mentioned this previously (but not in a post on the specific topic, I think).  I go to the Naschmark in Vienna every second week or so, but at least on a monthly basis.  I have seen, in recent months, an increase in Bohemian weights that is inconsistent with the amount that I believe are original.  Also the condition of these weights make me think that many may be copies. With my limited knowledge it also seems that the originals are almost always chipped or damaged and the stall holders clearly know the difference.  When you compare a chipped piece with a perfect piece and the chipped piece is similar, but 2-3 times more in price, I get this funny twitch ;D
In their defence I have to say that the weights are very good and another thing that makes me think twice is that many of these weights are very heavy for their size.  It can of course be argued that many of the copiers use heavy/less refined glass as a matter of course, but this is changing if you look at the modern Eastern weights.
Kind regards
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »
Karel,

If possible, get some pictures of the displays in those stalls in Naschmark.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
Hi,
I'll see what I can do about the pics if I go there this weekend.
Kind regards
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 11:08:56 PM »
About "Verrucci", as mentioned by Leni ... see this message from Nov 2005 which was started by Leni and, after Ray suggested Chinese, imported to Italy, I managed to find out a bit more info - but not a lot. Since then, I have found nothing further that helps to confirm anything, but I still think that "Verrucci" was a trade name used by an Italian outlet (not Murano) for tourist items and included imported Chinese weights.

For the "Bohemian faceted" weights, it would certainly be good to see some photos of the current ones. Heavily faceted "flower" weights have been made in the recent past in Hungary and possibly remain as current production. Also, tall faceted weights (but I can't recall if they were flower types) that were often confused with Strathearn items were made in modern times in Portugal.
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:10:03 AM »
Thanks for that information, Kev.  Oh yes, it was me who originally asked about Verrucci, wasn't it!  Ooops!  Put it down to old age creeping on!  :-[  ::)

There's a few of these faceted 'Bohemian' weights on ebay at the moment, and I saw at least three at the weekend as we went on our usual Sunday afternoon antique hunt! 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand