No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vallien ostrich skin? vase/bowl  (Read 2268 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
vallien ostrich skin? vase/bowl
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »
hi all,

after a few years of collecting murano glass, i recently found out that a pretty bottle vase i bought was lindstrand... it was signed and numbered. what a fine and new experience for me  :D at any rate, i've got the bug for scandi glass now and picked up another piece. it's signed "Boda B Vallien 52532". it's a lovely blue with controlled air bubbles (i'm used to calling it bullicante but it might have a different name in scandinavian glass) with dark rims around them and sits upon a clear, pedestal base. Approx dimensions: 4.75" (12cm) high x 5" (13cm) wide.

can anyone tell me if there is a proper name for this vase/bowl? i have been looking but have as yet been unable to find another like it.

thanks,

bidda

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: vallien ostrich skin? vase/bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:48 AM »
I don't think these items ever had "names" - like being called George or Emma or Capri. This is indeed an early (1960s/70s) piece by Vallien from his time at Boda with Höglund. I have a trumpet shaped vase in the same colour and bubble technique and I've never seen another one - so I guess they're not abundant.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
Hi.

The bowl appears in the Kosta Boda catalog of 1983 and was done in two sizes: one 4" in diameter and one 8 1/4",  both designed by Bertil Vallien.
The vase was designed "Boda Stratos" in the catalog.

Jan Eric Ritzman and his colleage, former masters at Kosta Boda, create this technique at their studio Transjö Glass Studio.

Bill Geary

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 04:05:06 PM »
Ivo,
ah, yes,  i saw your trumpet vase while poring through the threads looking to answer my own question. beautiful :) i thought it looked older too and i've only seen one other beside mine and yours.

Bill,
"stratos" sounds nice. the dimensions given bother me a bit, though. mine seems to be in between the sizes given in the catalog(5" diameter). was 1983 the first (last? only?) year these bowls were made?

Do these pieces have any resale value or are they too new?

Thanks to you both for your input :)

bidda

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
Hi

I would not be concerned about the diameter size if it is not too much of a difference. These are hand made by various glass blowers.

Cannot answer your question about the years of production.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand