No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech "Brychta" (?) Drunk Figurine - ID = Miloslav Klinger, ZBS  (Read 7995 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Czech "Brychta" (?) Drunk Figurine - ID = Miloslav Klinger, ZBS
« on: September 02, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
Here's my latest politically incorrect art glass acquisition, a charming drunk with lantern, standing in the snow.  The detail is exquisite, down to the glazed over eyes (resembles me some evenings).  I understand the Czechs made these sorts of glass figurines for a number of years.  I see these types of figurines described sometimes as "Brychta." The label on bottom might lend a clue (see below).  I can't make out the three cursive letters on the foil tag.  Can someone tell me who designed an produced it, and its approximate age?  Any information would be appreciated.  Please click on links below for 2 more pictures.
Charles.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4ttyfqp
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=524cw2x

Sklounion

Re: Czech "Brychta" (?) Drunk Figurine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
Hi Charles,
ZBS, Zelezno Brodske Sklo.
Whilst many were designed by Jaroslav Brychta, from @ around 1931 onward, few were actually made by him.
With this label, this is post-war, and with the oval label possibly 1980s, as the original ZBS label was a different shape, I believe. Yours is definitely before 1992.
These are, as far as I am aware, still in production.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks Marcus.
With info. you provided, I tracked down another piece with the oval label, which is in present use, Czech Republic rather than Czechoslovakia.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blown-Glass-Male-Vet-Figurine-Czech-Republic-NEW_W0QQitemZ180147385413QQcmdZViewItem with similar label

Charles.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »
fixed link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180147385413

Interesting, usually the label has gone and the description suggest great age. Always refreshing to see things sold honestly.

I would love to know the Czech price new...

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »
My father was given one as a medical school graduation gift in the 1950s, and the quality and circa 1930s/40s style are comparable to contemporary production (or at least, my "nearly" contemporary drunk).  I too am wondering how much they sell for new.  They cannot be cheap to make.

C.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »
I tried to find them, but nearly all the on-line sales I found suggested they were old. Ditto eBay. And nearly all were in the US so shipping was too high!

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
This style of figurine is relatively modern, ie post 1930.
Brychta was also responsible for others, which were effectively glass beads on wires, but which date to the 1920s.
Cost is relative, and arguably, immaterial.
Enjoy them for what they are, humour in glass and little more.
M

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 07:48:03 AM »
This is interesting - I was at an auction on Tuesday, and this chap came up for grabs:

I couldn't place him, and although he is very nicely made and good quality, his price was (IMHO) a bit on the high side for me to pay for an attributed piece.  And in fact he didn't make his reserve.

Is he the same manufactury?

http://www.reeman-dansie-auctions.co.uk/sale/6730/044.JPG
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:12:33 AM »
Hi, Lynne.
Image is a little small to tell definitely, but probably.
Known sets include orchestras, medical and pharmacists and many other occupations.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:38:46 AM »
Sorry, Marcus, I copied the thumbnail url, not the main pic... I've changed the link above, should give you a better impression.

His face is so very like Charles' drunken man, I can't imagine it being made elsewhere to such a similar pattern.  I DO like him though!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand