No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nullvase, by Ikea  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Nullvase, by Ikea
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »
These Gulvvase-esque things with the tiny rims instead of the typical Brauer-designed flat wide rims have been pottering about for ages, and if not wrongly attributed to K-H, then usually to an anonymous Italian glassworks - but one with a label finally came up for auction:

AUCTION

It's an old-style Ikea label (the new ones are transparent plastic and have been for a good while). Any clue of time period for production?

Online Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Nullvase, by Ikea
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:21:38 AM »
Ikea used to operate a large glassworks in Hungary but in recent times I see a lot of China and Thailand produced items on the shelves there - so not sure if the blue item was from the Hungarian plant.

The "anonymous Italian" attributions are not too far fetched. I have several vintage Empoli white wine coolers from the seventies with an identical body shape and rim - but with an internal bubble for ice.

Imitation Brauers in clear cased white appeared in large quantities in local furniture shops here circa 1998, they must have been imported by the containerload.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:08:22 AM »
I wasn't doubting the anonymous Italian attribution - I suspect that many of the vintage (1970s) opal cased vases with this form originated in Italy.

The modern (1990s-present) ones that are closer in form to the Brauer design seem to have originated in Poland, as far as I can tell.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
So what is the yellow one in the auction, Nic?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »
Oh, the yellow one is Holmegaard.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »
Phew! I thought it was but just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those Polish ones.

Offline palo400

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:48:04 PM »
Spotted one like the blue at a carboot with a Made in China sticker on the bottom.

Should have bought it to store my loose change like them large Bells whiskey bottles people used to have...mind you the Whiskey bottle would be more valuable ;D

Offline palo400

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »
Have a ganda at theses 230169704690

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
The link didn't work, but I assume you mean THESE?

I'd spotted them too. I do remember seeing a cased version of these bottles (in Coral/Opal colourway) that was definitely Kastrup-Holmegaard, and it had a shafted ball stopper with it that fitted into the cupped opening. I had just assumed that they were a limited-production variation on the Brauer design - but the labels on this vase, and I do believe they're original to it, should date it to pre-Brauer (1962).

I'm hoping to bid on the one above so I can compare the colour to the Greenland series, which would date it to 1961. So fingers crossed!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand