No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore or Davidson slag glass bowl  (Read 3294 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
Edward Moore or Davidson slag glass bowl
« on: June 19, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »
got this one today, not to sure if it's Davidson or Moore, it measures 7.25" across and 1.25" high, the decor around the bowl is scottish thistle, the colour is mint green? with white swirls, no REG or RD numbers

click image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 05:38:28 PM »
Ray,  I think it is lovely and so typical of the exuberant patriotism of the period.

I would add Greener to your list, and even a mainland Europe glassworks!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 07:30:27 PM »
I agree with Bernard (above) up to the end of the word Greener because you don't look any further for the maker.  If anybody in this group is lucky enough to have the butter dish in the Marquis of Lorne pattern, turn over the base and I am pretty sure the bottom will match Ray's example.  I don't have one or would post a picture.

Sid

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 10:20:42 PM »
for got to say it has three raised glass bobbles on top of the bowl , you can just make them out in the bottom photo, as it was for a lid to slot down
cheers Ray

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 10:25:12 PM »
:D I like it too, it may be opaque, but it's not pastel. The pattern looks more like the thistle, the rose and the shamrock than just the thistle though, so something to do with uniting the "king"dom (why no daffodils or leeks?) (and why "king"dom, when it's currently a queendom?) :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 04:21:48 AM »
Sue — Wales did not have quite the same status as England, Scotland and Ireland, being, as I understand it, a principality within England.   So Wales was already included by showing the English rose.   The inclusion of the Welsh leek would have produced the strange anomaly of including Wales twice!   Even the apparent leeks on the black three-footed patriotic vase attributed (possibly erroneously) to Davidson shown on p29 of Notley/Miller's may be just artistic infill of a slim vertical panel rather than a deliberate attempt to include Welsh leeks.   The same reasoning explains why we do not see symbols for the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands — the English rose already encompassed them.

Whatever the faults of our Victorian forefathers, and there were many, their logic here was impeccable and accurate.   ... and, unless the status of Wales has changed in the last century, it is our use of these symbols today that is confused and inaccurate.

As for your final point about sexist or otherwise discriminatory language, I thought the more irrational extremes of this had all but disappeared a couple of decades ago.   It has not helped having little serious published study or guidance.   A rare and useful rational essay on this is contained within the final chapter of Bill Bryson's Made in America, well worth reading for a variety of reasons connected with the English language.

I myself have a problem with the use of correct language as I am working on the publication of the 1863–66 diaries of Joseph Brookes, a humble Northamptonshire village Parish Clerk and shoemaker.   Joseph describes himself as both a cripple and as crippled, perfectly correctly then.   The words have only acquired their derogatory connotations in the last half century or so.   Am I to bowdlerize Joseph's beautiful language?   Of course not, though I will, no doubt, receive a few complaints.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand