Author Topic: Thorneycroft paperweight  (Read 1744 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Thorneycroft paperweight
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
Another weight I picked up recently - the label indicates A. Thorneycroft as the maker, but apart from this there's very little I can find. The telephone number dates this prior to 1990.

Tried searching via Google, and nothing appears on a search of this board, so I am a bit stymied.

Size is 7.7cm diameter.
David
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Thorneycroft paperweight
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
Hi David - Al Thorneycroft often signed his weights like this or AJT and I have never seen one with a label. I think he worked at the London Glassworks then became a teacher in glassmaking at the University of London
Dave

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »
Thanks again. I'm fairly sure the label is genuine, but cannot see a mark otherwise. Do you have dates when he was active?
David

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi David - Al Thorneycroft often signed his weights like this or AJT and I have never seen one with a label. I think he worked at the London Glassworks then became a teacher in glassmaking at the University of London
Dave

My recollection is rather hazy and I am not sure which of the glass studios in London you mean, Dave, because unfortunately over the years people have not been entirely imaginative in their choice of names: The Glasshouse, London; London Glassblowing Workshop; Glassworks, London; as well as London Glassworks, to name but a few.

However, I think that Al was the technician at what used to be called Middlesex Polytechnic from at least from as early as 1982, up to his retirement, but I cannot be sure of this. I think they changed the name to Middlesex University at some point. 

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Lisa R

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paperweights
    • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
I have an Al Thorneycroft paperweight. It is signed with his name on the bottom with the year 1977. That was the year he had a shop in Covent Garden and I watched him making the paperweights as I passed the window. I went in and bought the one I have now.

Another weight I picked up recently - the label indicates A. Thorneycroft as the maker, but apart from this there's very little I can find. The telephone number dates this prior to 1990.

Tried searching via Google, and nothing appears on a search of this board, so I am a bit stymied.

Size is 7.7cm diameter.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
Hi Lisa and welcome to GMB.

Would be nice to see your 'weight if you can upload a photo.  :)
David

Offline Lisa R

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paperweights
    • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »
I will take a photo of it and post it on here for you.

I have an Al Thorneycroft paperweight. It is signed with his name on the bottom with the year 1977. That was the year he had a shop in Covent Garden and I watched him making the paperweights as I passed the window. I went in and bought the one I have now.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
I was going to post a pic of my own A J Thorneycroft paperweight, but then found a mention of him on page 183 of John Simmonds' book Paperweights from Great Britain.  There's a picture of several of his weights.

Regards

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand