No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thorneycroft paperweight  (Read 6371 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Thorneycroft paperweight
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
Another weight I picked up recently - the label indicates A. Thorneycroft as the maker, but apart from this there's very little I can find. The telephone number dates this prior to 1990.

Tried searching via Google, and nothing appears on a search of this board, so I am a bit stymied.

Size is 7.7cm diameter.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Thorneycroft paperweight
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
Hi David - Al Thorneycroft often signed his weights like this or AJT and I have never seen one with a label. I think he worked at the London Glassworks then became a teacher in glassmaking at the University of London
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »
Thanks again. I'm fairly sure the label is genuine, but cannot see a mark otherwise. Do you have dates when he was active?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi David - Al Thorneycroft often signed his weights like this or AJT and I have never seen one with a label. I think he worked at the London Glassworks then became a teacher in glassmaking at the University of London
Dave

My recollection is rather hazy and I am not sure which of the glass studios in London you mean, Dave, because unfortunately over the years people have not been entirely imaginative in their choice of names: The Glasshouse, London; London Glassblowing Workshop; Glassworks, London; as well as London Glassworks, to name but a few.

However, I think that Al was the technician at what used to be called Middlesex Polytechnic from at least from as early as 1982, up to his retirement, but I cannot be sure of this. I think they changed the name to Middlesex University at some point. 

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Lisa R

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paperweights
    • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
I have an Al Thorneycroft paperweight. It is signed with his name on the bottom with the year 1977. That was the year he had a shop in Covent Garden and I watched him making the paperweights as I passed the window. I went in and bought the one I have now.

Another weight I picked up recently - the label indicates A. Thorneycroft as the maker, but apart from this there's very little I can find. The telephone number dates this prior to 1990.

Tried searching via Google, and nothing appears on a search of this board, so I am a bit stymied.

Size is 7.7cm diameter.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
Hi Lisa and welcome to GMB.

Would be nice to see your 'weight if you can upload a photo.  :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lisa R

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paperweights
    • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »
I will take a photo of it and post it on here for you.

I have an Al Thorneycroft paperweight. It is signed with his name on the bottom with the year 1977. That was the year he had a shop in Covent Garden and I watched him making the paperweights as I passed the window. I went in and bought the one I have now.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
I was going to post a pic of my own A J Thorneycroft paperweight, but then found a mention of him on page 183 of John Simmonds' book Paperweights from Great Britain.  There's a picture of several of his weights.

Regards

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand