No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass proverb / saying bowl?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Pressed glass proverb / saying bowl?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »
Wow Max, Thats gorgeous! They certainly have an appeal of their own. Years ago I was never attracted to any of this kind of glass. Nothing pressed at all. Now they seem to have become beautiful to me all of a sudden :)

Close up pics..
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8403 crack
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8402 crack 2
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8401 crack viewed above
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8400 other flaws.

Still love it anyway. It reminds me of me..Cracked with a couple of flaws..lol

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »
Yup, they're cracks, you can tell by the silvery reflection,  :cry:. We should be so lucky only to be cracked at 119

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »
Oh well..I didnt have high hopes of it being worth anything much other than being interesting. I guess at least I can say I have a true antique. I wish it could talk! Id love to know what its been used for and where its been for 119 years. :)
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 12:16:17 PM »
Years ago I was never attracted to any of this kind of glass. Nothing pressed at all. Now they seem to have become beautiful to me all of a sudden

You'll find that happens Selina.  It's part of learning and appreciating and I've had the same experience as you with this.  I can't even say definitely that I'll never learn to love frilly victorian glass...it could happen!   ;) ;D

I am not a man

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 12:27:44 PM »
Ive already done that Max...couldnt stand green glass before, now I have a couple of bits. And as for Victorian..I thought it was ugly. Now...oh I drool at the bits I see on ebay..:) Frills and all..
Trudy

Offline furrymischief

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
Mmmm, Greener - I didn't know that but am interested because I have a 5" saucer (uncoloured: flint) in an identical pattern.  All of this dotty Victorian glass is amazingly reflective - if you haven't yet discovered that, try placing it somewhere the sun or a light strikes it.  The effect is wonderful. 

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
Bernard, please, is this Greener or Davidson then too?
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/kerzenhalter/05915.html poor photos, I'm afraid  :-X

and how about this one?
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/05888.html

more plates: (unknown)
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/03266.html
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/schalen/03272.html
and many more on my site  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »
Pamela — Your plate is identical to the one Max has, so, surprisingly, it's also Davidson.  ::)

Don't know about the candlestick.   It doesn't look familiar.   What is the design on the base?

Nice to see the German language examples.   I presume the last one is "GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD" in German.

I was browsing around your site before we went on holiday, and found several pieces that I could help you with, including a nice example of Wood Bros.   Unfortunately I got distracted.   I will have another go when I have half a mo'.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »
Hmmm I found my plate here...but in clear instead of blue...

http://www.mark-norton-fine-antiques.com/pressed%20glass.htm

Trudy
Trudy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »
I know of no firm evidence that either Davidson or Greener produced a glass plate with the specific motto "A Good Name is Better Than Riches".

From reply #12 of
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50127.msg364106.html#msg364106

In the King James translation of the Bible: "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold" - Proverbs 22:1.
I too have seen a similar [unmarked] plate in transparent pale blue glass, diameter 5 inches.
I  have also seen a similar 6 inch diameter plate in clear glass with the embossed legend REGISTERD [sic.] DESIGN NO 2971 and, significantly, with the 'N' in DESIGN  reversed as in a mirror image . So, REGISTERD is mis-spelled, and ther is an anomaly in the orientation of a letter. Interestingly, this was being offered for sale by an Australian seller too.
Now I have photos to show of an 8 inch/200mm diameter plate of the design with the embossed legend REGISTERD DESIGN NO 2971 (and the reversed N in DESIGN) PLUS the embossed legend MADE IN JAPAN (with the 'N' in JAPAN also reversed as in a mirror image) - permission to re-use these images on the GMB granted by dick123.
I'm not sure about glassware specifically, but in America, the  McKinley Tariff, which took effect on 1 March 1891, required that all imported goods be marked in English with their country of origin. At the time, NIPPON was considered to be an acceptable name for Japan, so most Japanese ceramics of this period were backstamped NIPPON or HAND PAINTED NIPPON, often with a company logo as well. However, not all were stamped that way. There were still unmarked pieces, and pieces stamped JAPAN as well. Then the U.S. Customs Bureau ruled that NIPPON was no longer an acceptable synonym - as of August 1, 1921 all goods were supposed to be backstamped JAPAN. Technically, the 'Made in Japan' Era began when the 'Nippon' era ended in 1921, but it really was not that precise. At some point the US Customs Bureau may have required that the words MADE IN... be added to the backstamps, but this was not always done. Unmarked pieces sometimes slipped through Customs, but most of the ceramics from 1921 to 1941 are marked either JAPAN or MADE IN JAPAN. The United States occupied Japan from September 1945, until April 1952. The Occupied Japan backstamp Era truly began August 15, 1947 when the first shipment of Occupied Japan ceramics arrived in America. The U.S Customs Bureau decreed in 1949 that Japanese goods could be marked OCCUPIED JAPAN, MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN, JAPAN or MADE IN JAPAN.
So it appears as though these ' A Good Name .." glass plates could possibly be 1920s-1940s Japanese-manufactured 'looky-likey' imports destined for America, attempting to imitate late 19th century British or American motto glassware (probably British glassware in this instance because of the 'faux' or anomalous design registration number). 
Pamela's mention that she acquired a similar plate in Australia or New Zealand might also have a bearing in that Japanese glassware for export to America could easily have also found its way to the Antipodes.  Moreover, in the mid- to late-1930s, Western designs of all types were being widely copied by the Japanese and sold in Australia.  As a result, British manufacturers of glassware and ceramics started to registered designs both in Britain and Australia so that from the late 1930s and into the 1940s articles are seen bearing both British and Australian design registration numbers. [Some Davidson glass designs from the time are commonly found with dual design registration numbers].
Does anyone have photos to show of "A Good Name..." motto glassware  of different shape (but similar design), or even the same motto but with a different decorative design to those shown here, please?

Fred

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand