No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jewel Celery?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline macaster

• Members
Jewel Celery?
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »
Hello again,

Here's another for me to pester you with. I acquired this piece in the same lot as the possible Davidson vase as well as a few others. So far here is what I've found or else had help with. It seems to be an Atterbury Jewel Celery. I can barely find any information on it. I don't want to post this piece as an original when there is the possibility it could be a replacement.

This link shows it in a different color;

http://www.mindspring.com/~reyne/slag.html

I was also told it shows up on page 324 of Milk Glass (Belknap)
I haven't made it the library to confirm yet, but it does come from a credible source

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/macaster/DSCN0147.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/macaster/DSCN0150.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Jewel Celery?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »
?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline macaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »
Pamela, I had a big ? when I was told what this piece is thought to be. Here's what I've read. The celery part has to do with 19th century America and celery being considered a luxury food. So for high society it was common to have an ornate celery dish, of course with the vegetable in it during dinner. Kind of a status quo thing. The jewel part, and this part is my thinking, would be b/c of the pattern on the front of this piece. Hope that helps.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:17:23 PM »
why not post it? we do not bite  ;D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:03:02 PM »
Matt — If you have identified it as an "Atterbury Jewel Celery", what is your question?

Please would you include your country in your profile — it helps.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline macaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:39:20 AM »
AH, this insomnia is killing me, I'm not normally this vague. The picture I found is fairly vague, so hoping somene has come across this piece at some point. Also, if I do decide to sell this piece, I don't want to list it as an original piece and find out that it is reproduction by another company. I really don't want to misreprent myself nor upset a buyer. So, though I drew this out a bit, the question would be, is this piece jewel cellery by Atterbury? and if no one knows the answer to that, would this piece be considered slag glass?

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:02:29 AM »
Yes, it's definitely slag glass, but that's as far as I can say. Just one note though - the stem your piece has a dotted band, whereas the one on Patricia MacCulley's site is plain. There seem to be other differences in shape and colour, but that may owe to the small and fuzzy photographs, angle etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand