No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it or isn't it by Michael Harris?  (Read 10021 times)

Offline lddlsa

• Members
Is it or isn't it by Michael Harris?
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »
Hello

I mainly collect Monart and Vasart glass but , as you do, I am occasionally tempted to buy other glass.  I have had a couple of interesting discussions with Ron Wheeler of Artius Glass at glass fairs regarding Isle of Wight (IOW) glass.  Last week I was on holiday on the IOW and just had to visit the IOW glass studio, I bought a lovely perfume bottle and enjoyed watching several vases being made.  I also bored my ever patient husband with the little knowledge I have regarding Michael Harris and IOW glass.

Please be patient with me, I am getting to the point of this story :)
Later in the week we popped into an antiques and collectables shop for a browse and having scanned for any interesting glass, I was ready to leave.  My husband picked up a paperweight which I hadn't bothered to do because it just had an orange swirl in it and I don't like orange, and I don't collect paperweights.............   Husband called me over "Look at this" he said, on the bottom was engraved "Michael Harris Isle of Wight".  At this point I became interested in the orange paperweight but thought either it is genuine and it's going to be £40/£50 at a guess,or it might be a fake.  The owner said he wanted £5 for it and I negotiated the price down to the princely sum of £4.  At this point I thought oh well it's most probably a fake but then why would you bother for £4?  I just couldn't believe that anyone selling antiques etc on the IOW wouldn't know about Michael Harris.

Now we get to the point of this posting............ I think that it may well be genuine having compared it to other Michael Harris signatures I have located.  Please does anyone know where I can find a good example of his signature on the internet?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Lynne (LDDLSA)

MOD:  PHOTO'S AVAILABLE LOWER DOWN THREAD

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Is it or isn't it?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
You could start by contacting Artius Glass
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
Why not post a picture of the weight and the signature? Some of have the IOW book, which may offer some clues

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I will try and get a decent photo of the weight and signature, the hard bit for me will be posting them on the board but I will follow the instructions to the letter and who knows I might manage it :)
I am hoping to go to the Cambridge Glass Fair at the end of the month, Artius Glass are usually there so I will take it along and ask Ron Wheeler if he will give me his opinion. 

Thanks again for your help.

Lynne (LDDLSA)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
Lynne, if you get stuck trying to upload your photo, please send it to me at  maxeen AT aol DOT com  and I'll sort it out for you.   :)
I am not a man

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »
Hi Max
Thanks for your kind offer, I may well take you up on that.  I haven't had a chance to take the photos yet as I have spent most of the day creating pieces of glass of my own which are in the kiln fusing as I type.  It is always a pain to have to wait for it to cool down enough so I can see if the results are any good.  Hopefully I will be able to get the photos done tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Lynne (LDDLSA)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:03:23 PM »
Sounds interesting - you must post photos of your own work :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Is it or isn't it by Michael Harris?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:41:23 PM »
Lynne has kindly sent photographs of her paperweight:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8448
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-8449

Hopefully these will help.   :)
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
That signature looks absolutely fine to me - compared to the MH signature I've got it's virtually identical.  What a great find - and like you say, how odd that the dealer on the Isle of Wight didn't realise what he had!

Offline lddlsa

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 02:47:07 PM »
Thanks for replying Pip, I was fairly sure it was genuine but I am no expert on paperweights.  Hubby will be pleased when I tell him as, after all, it was him that found it.  Now I will be inspecting everything more closely, I have just got to find something for myself.  I know that valuations are not given here but I am guessing it might be worth £30-£40.  Certainly for the forseeable future it is going to sit between two perfume bottles, one each by Timothy and Jonathan Harris.  I still don't like the orange though ;D

Lynne (LDDLSA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand