No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unmarked Waterford Crystal  (Read 19023 times)

Offline Gill

• Members
Unmarked Waterford Crystal
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
Hi, I've recently acquired quite a few crystal glasses, some are clearly marked Waterford, others of different patterns are unmarked.  All seems to be of very good quality. I've sent myself cross eyed looking at different crystal sites trying to ID them, Stuart,Waterford, Webb etc. Is there some kind person who'll take a look if I post some pics please?  I also have some pieces marked Waterford Nocturne which I can't see on any sites either, is this a general name which emcompasses different styles?  All the best, Gill

Offline selling2u

• Members
Re: Unmarked Waterford Crystal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 03:17:50 AM »
I do know Waterford Nocturne is brand new... TY, Steve :clap:

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
Is it indeed? thankyou very much Steve! ;D

Offline akebah

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »
hi,

Waterford would be marked, though my mother in law has a lot of unmarked pieces that she has bought over the years from people who worked in the factory (I think the factory workers used to be allowed to make a set number of pieces per year and these could be picked up through family and friends - this practice seems to have been stopped now). The pieces would be the higher value items though such as lamps, globes or one-off pieces rather than glasses.

Some of the crystal replacement companies that list on ebay are useful for looking up patterns - though it can be very tiresome to say the least. I think nocturne would be a type of cut - not sure if still in use. You could try contacting Waterford Glass direct.

I was over in Ireland last week with family in the Waterford area, and heard that the chandelier section of Waterford is being shifted abroad in the next year or so.

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:08:56 AM »
Thanks for your help! :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »
Hiya,

As with all these things there are no hard and fast rules - only rule-of-thumb I'm afraid.

My experience says that Waterford is NOT always marked, having found pieces without marks and later matched them with the catalogue(s).

They certainly label all larger items (not each drinking glass for instance), but since the labels are so big and opaque (printed on a silver foil type of paper), often they are the first thing to dissappear when an item gets home!

Very sensibly I see that you are not assuming the unmarked pieces are by Waterford just because they all came together ;) Try putting some pics on as it always helps folks on the board to have an image of the pieces in question.

Nigel

Offline Gill

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
Cheers Nigel, I've got to have a big session taking photos of clear glass items soon so I'll do them them 8)

Offline acloserlook1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • crystal
    • united states
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 12:45:19 PM »
I also have an item i believe to be unmarked waterford crystal. No markings whatsoever. Any thoughts on authenticity?

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 02:01:16 PM »
I would be very careful re Waterford marks.  A few years back I bought a lovely ship's decanter that I just "knew" was Waterford - basically because I owned one already.  When I got it intending to onsell I am damned if I could find the Seahorse mark.  About a week later I looked again for about the fourth time, and must have held my mouth just right, because very faint though it was it was clearly marked.  I suggest persist if you are sure, as I mentioned it to a saleperson in a retailer of Waterford - who said they tried to place the mark so it did mot catch the eye and effect the beauty of the glass - hence they were at times very faint.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline selinkyble

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 06:08:40 PM »
I also have an item i believe to be unmarked waterford crystal. No markings whatsoever. Any thoughts on authenticity?

Have you looked at the body for the waterford mark? They quite often mark decanters and jugs on the side, rather than the base. Look close to the base on the body of the decanter. Sometimes their marks are so faint, they are pratically unseeable :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand