No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to identify a Red/Clear odd shaped vase...  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help to identify a Red/Clear odd shaped vase...
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »
Steve, you see these vases on eBay a lot called 'dogbone' vases.

Well 'Knoglevase' does translate as Bone Vase, so they're not too far off.  ;D

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »
In 1952 Lutken designed a shape similar to this called "Knoglevase" for Holmegaard. It was in uncased Labrador (a dark smokey blue colour) and had no bubbles in the base. It was never put into full production and the few that very occasionally hit the market were bought at exhibitions.

In 1971 the pattern was reissued in Labrador cased in clear, and in clear glass, in five different sizes (patterns 2471 (largest at 50-75cm) through to 2475 (smallest at 13cm). As far as I know, these were just for an exhibition at Copenhagen's Kunstindustrimuseet (The Danish Museum of Art & Design) where a few of Lutken's 1950s designs were adapted and revised (including the beak vase). Both of the above should be signed with Holmegaard, the Lutken monogram, and the pattern number.

During the early 1970s the pattern was rejigged exclusively for tourists visiting the factory shop - but these were massive beasties, and had swirls of colour in the base, rather than the Aseda bubbles. I don't think these were signed.

Here's one that had just been made in 1973: Holmegaard Factory Tour

Brilliant Nic!  I have only seen one, fully signed and monogrammed, but it was too tall for my liking (i.e. too big for a box! ) so I left it alone.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »
I've only ever seen one come on eBay - 15cm tall - but the bidding went silly so I had to pass on it. Never seen one anywhere else outside of books.  :(

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
In 1952 Lutken designed a shape similar to this called "Knoglevase" for Holmegaard. It was in uncased Labrador (a dark smokey blue colour) and had no bubbles in the base. It was never put into full production and the few that very occasionally hit the market were bought at exhibitions.

Just to add - they were also made in Akvablå (Aqua Blue) in 1952.

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 08:24:12 PM »

On Thursday I invested anothe Pound in a small bud vase with a red bubble base - complete  with a Holmgaard label on the base - Danish

The label you have on the base of this may be  "G Hardy Co." who were importers of glass into Britain in the 50's & 60's.

I would also say definitely Aseda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand