No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New Poster Here with Lalique Question  (Read 3659 times)

Offline ascot

• Members
New Poster Here with Lalique Question
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:34:04 AM »
I am new to this board--looks like a great place, and I have a lot to learn!
I purchased a vase last week in a small second hand shop.  When I got home and held it to the light, I can see "R. Lalique" very faintly on the bottom.  The oval shape is not quite uniform, one side being slightly less rounded than the other.  Under a magnifying glass, it looks like there are tiny tool marks where the satin glass was cut away to make the floral design.  The glass is a rich green that fades to clear.  The bottom is extemely smooth but has a good bit of shelf wear around the perimeter.  My photos aren't great--the vase is uncleaned and it was hard to capture the pattern.

So far, my internet searches for Lalique haven't turned up anything that looks like this.

I was referred here for help and am so hoping someone will know what this is.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: New Poster Here with Lalique Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:23:40 AM »
ascot — Welcome to the GMB.   I can't help you with Lalique, but I have several suggestions for making things easier for those who do know.

Please would you include your country in your profile, as knowing where glass was likely to have been originally sold often helps.

Also I can't tell whether I am looking at a powder bowl, a biscuit barrel, or a bucket!   So let us know its height and diameter, in centimetres preferably as it's by a French manufacturer.     You could also include the weight.    Some will also include an internationally well-known and neutral object, such as an eating apple, in one of the photographs to give an idea of scale, worth remembering for future queries.

And, although less important for pressed glass, a view of the base is often helpful.

Well done — nice find.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ascot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »
Thank you, Bernard, for your very helpful comments and suggestions!

I purchased the vase in Washington, DC, in a consignment shop in Georgetown.

The measurements are 5 3/8" x 3 3/4" x 3 7/8" high, or 13.8cm x 9.5cm x 10cm high.

It is very hard to photograph, but here are a few more.  If you look very closely at the 3rd photo, you can see the R Lalique mark and some of the wear on the edge.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »
I've played around with the levels to try and improve readability, if this helps.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »
ascot — You caught me out!   I should have said "biscuit barrel/cookie jar" but forgot!

Otherwise:-

1. I nearly said to not use a Coke can, as it can get a hostile reaction from some.   It's manufacturers do have rather a good record for fostering third world debt and obesity!   I thought that "neutral" would be a sufficient hint.

2. Never, ever, reveal your favourite charity shops.   I won't even tell my wife where mine are!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »
Its manufacturers do have rather a good record for fostering [...] obesity!

Well, it is Diet Coke, at least...  ;D

Offline ascot

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »
Oh, dear, Bernard--my apologies for use of the can.  I started to use an apple but decided against it as they can vary so much in size. I don't live in or even near Washington--was just passing through the area.  

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »
Is it green flashed or stained? Staining was popular with Lalique.

Offline ascot

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
I have much to learn, but I'll try to answer your question.  I THINK the glass is stained.  The color is definitely in the glass--not the stuff that you can scrape off with a knife point or fingernail.  I think you can see on the top rim that the glass is all green, not a hint of white/clear or any casing. Please pardon my ignorance, but the closest thing I can use for an analogy would be putting drops of food coloring into a thick substance like white cake icing, and the icing turns green where the drops are mixed but remains white in other areas.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
A vast amount of Lalique's early to mid C20 production was for perfume and cosmetic manufacturers such as Coty, but still to the best of my knowledge impressed with R Lalique (I'll try to check this tonight)

I would hazard a guess that this piece has parted company from its lid, and was a container produced for a cosmetics company.

I can't recall seeing one like this before, which doesn't mean it is rare. In fact there were probably thousands produced. But often containers are discarded, so they become "rare". In this context rare does not always mean valuable. But although I don't know what you paid for it, I would imagine that it is probably worth a bit more than it cost!

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand