No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall green opalescent vase - who, when?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Tall green opalescent vase - who, when?
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:07:08 AM »
I have owned this vase (See here) for over 15 years, but never found out where or when it was made. I have not seen another of the same size and shape. Any ideas on this are welcome.

It is 44 cm (15 7/8 inch) tall, diameter of base is 16.5 cm (6 1/2 inch) and the base section is 7 cm (2 3/4 inch) high. Weight is 2.27 Kg (5 lb).

Rim view
Profile of base
Finish of base

As seen in the overall view, when lit from the back, it has a typical orange glow seen in most opaline glass. The base, however, being thicker than the neck does not show the glow except under very strong light. The opalescent rim is clearly visible in most lighting, including camera flash. Strangely (?) the ground out pontil area also shows the opalescent colour even though there is little light entering that part and the glass is quite thick in that area - in fact, at a casual glance, it appears to be a pastel blue glass overlaid with green!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Tall green opalescent vase - who, when?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:31:50 AM »
If the item is made by 'striking' you might well be looking at zinc oxide glass - a Russian/ Ukrainian speciality made in many shades of colour plus opaque. In which case you are talking about a relatively heavy item.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:18 PM »
Thanks Ivo, that's an interesting thought. The rim certainly looks to be made by striking and I guess the colour of that part could well be "zinc-influenced". But I'm still puzzled about the colour showing at the ground pontil area!

I noticed in your Glass Fact File a-z that you mentioned "zinc sulphide glass" and two of the folk connected with it. Would that be the same as the "zinc oxide glass" in your comment here?

I have the book Russian Glass of the 17th to 20th Centuries and it is clear that there were many Russain items that could easily be assumed to be European. I wish there was more literature on Russian glass. It's much the same as with paperweights, where some items have now been shown to be Russian but there is nothing on the general production (at least, not in English!).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:09:54 AM »
1st of all, sorry i meant zinc sulphide glass.

In addition to the work you mentioned I have "Soviet Glass"and "Gus Krushtalny". The latter has none, but the Soviet glass book has many examples of this type of glass. Usually the items are a bit garish - your vase is a miracle of restraint by comparison. And it seems many Russian glass artists used this material.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand