No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: squarefooted covered bowls 1820s  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: squarefooted covered bowls 1820s
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
I noticed them too in Lloyd.   I think you have to be careful in drawing that conclusion, Ivo, as, like all authors, Lloyd was probably restricted on plates, with the result that he would naturally choose pieces that illustrated as many features as possible.   Lemon squeezer feet were probably used over a much longer period.
Bernard C.  8)

Thanks I agree. Rest assured that I was not about to attempt anything as brash as an attribution - not until I see an identical one with provenance. Until then it is "probably" and "circa" for me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
If that is* a lemon squeezer foot, then it's funny because I was only hearing about them for the first time last weekend.  All I can say is apparently they COULD be an accessory (although that's probably not the right word) that could be bought by the hundred, and then used by different companys to complete their own style of cup or upper part.  What I mean is, the foot could be made by a different company to the top.  It was only when something like UV was used on complete pieces that it was discovered that they didn't necessarily start life as one unit.

*I couldn't identify a lemon squeezer base, as it's a new term I heard only during that conversation.

As far as I am aware, the big difference between a lemon squeezer and a normal star cut square base is that the lemon squeezer has a distinct domed cavity underneath.

I've always laughed at the name, as after all , if the cavity is designed to take a lemon, it would be peel side towards the glass, and what good would that be to squeeze it!!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »
But if you took the top off the foot you could 'squeeze' the lemon over the foot. The squeezer bit on a lemon squeezer is usually a hollow dome.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
Yes, that's true of course...

not so much fun as imagining the lemon just squishing up inside, though.... :o
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x