No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass lady  (Read 1453 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Glass lady
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:33:40 PM »
Hi  this is my latest car boot find, she is 10 inches tall, but I can't find any info who made her or even what its for. Any ideas and is she collectable? I just liked the look of her, apart from one very tiny nibble shes in lovely condition, been in a roof for a long time according to the seller.

Thank you, Cheryl.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline furrymischief

• Members
Re: Glass lady
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:14:33 PM »
I don't know this particular lady, so can't tell you if she is modern or older.  However, it does rather look as if she is intended to be a support for a bowl.  I have a quite well known continental stand in frosted blue of 4 cherubs with a  similar top, which should hold a bowl.  I can't remember the make at the moment & can't find my notes, unfortunately.  As to whether or not yours is collectable ... that is upto you & whether or not you like her!  If you meant saleable then yes, you'll need a pedigree.  I hope someone else will be able to give you more information.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply,  I have found the exact one on Black poppys site in blue and pink, but they have no makers name, you are right it is a bowl stand, it shows two different bowls, and its called a comport stand. I bought her just because she stood out as a lovely piece of glass, I will keep her, the lady that sold her was quite old herself and she said it belonged to her mother and was from the 1930s. cheryl

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:23:15 AM »
I would say she is almost certainly from the 1930s and she is possibly in uranium glass. She is almost certainly worth more than you paid for her even without a bowl and a manufacturer. Good quality female figures seem quite desirable even without all their bits

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:06 AM »
Hi, I paid £10 for her, my husband thought I was mad paying that much but I thought she was lovely so I bought her anyway!! I'm sure I've got a bargain,but if I'm keeping her I don't suppose it matters much what shes worth. cheryl.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:42:23 PM »
I would say she is almost certainly from the 1930s and she is possibly in uranium glass. She is almost certainly worth more than you paid for her even without a bowl and a manufacturer. Good quality female figures seem quite desirable even without all their bits

Tell that to the Venus de Milo  >:D ;D

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand