No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini and Seguso?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline OHARA5150

• Members
Barbini and Seguso?
« on: September 18, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
Hi--I'm a brand new collector and am still learning.  I learned from Anita (an expert here) that the pieces I've just acquired could be made by Barbini and Seguso.  Can you give me their full names? 

Also, assuming these are the correct artists, about how much are these pieces worth (photos attached).

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.

Offline OHARA5150

• Members
Re: Barbini and Seguso?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »
Also, can anyone could give me their opinion on whether Seguso (green bottle) and Barbini (bowl) made these pieces?  I would very much appreciate it!

I'll try to upload pictures of the labels--they both say Murano, but seem like generic import labels.

Grazie.

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
Ohara,
i agree with Anita that the bottle is probably Seguso. i don't know about the bowl. as far as names of artists, it can get really confusing and convoluted. Seguso can refer to Archimede Seguso (or to one of his brothers) or to one of the several companies headed (or co-headed) by A Seguso. Same goes for Alfredo Barbini (as far as i know. if someone who knows more or better sees something i fudged or omitted, please feel free to flog me). ;)i can usually guess with some accuracy the company that made a particular piece but am nowhere near expert enough to attribute to a specific artist without a label declaring it so or a picture of the same or nearly same piece in a book that attributes it to a particular artist. ie. i have a bowl with a foil label that says, "Venetian-Made by-Alfredo Barbini-Weil Ceramics and Glass-Murano-Italy" and that's the ONLY piece of Murano glass i own that i'd be comfortable attributing to Alfredo Barbini with certainty (and even with the label i'm only 95% certain). in short (or long as the case may now be) i dunno but my best guess would be Seguso (one of the companies not, necessarily the man) for the bottle.

bidda

Offline OHARA5150

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »
Thanks bidda for all the info!  Very helpful--I just ordered a book to help me learn more about collecting.

I've attached pictures of the labels in case that helps anyone identify the bowl.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 07:00:59 AM »
Hi:

There's thread that shows a number of the Murano labels, but I don't think these two are in it. The pink label isn't like anything I've seen. I wonder if the yellow label could be AVeM? I wonder what Anita might say.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »
Hmmm...

Well, first I better confess that I am not an expert. When I saw the labels, I became increasingly unsure if Seguso and Barbini were good guesses. I know they are generic Murano labels. I haven't seen the red label with the Murano in script for Seguso before. I usually associate this type of label with the generic Murano. Seguso often used a red label with block letters. Has anyone seen Seguso with the script label before? (I saw what looked like a F'lli Toso paperweight that had the script label, so it could be that any company may have pieces that have this type of label -- I don't know.)

The spot bowl reminded me of Barbini's spot bowls. It has the two-layer white dots that have the layers offset. Of course, being similar doesn't necessarily mean it was done by the same people.

David, the yellow "Made in Italy" label looks like the one on the Bianconi-like fazzoletto on eBay the other day that we decided looked like Fratelli Toso. I have a feeling that it is not overly useful for identifying the company, though it may help put a date on the bowl.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline OHARA5150

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 05:20:50 PM »
Thanks to all for the info.  I have no knowledge about labels (yet) so this is very helpful. 

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
I think the yellow label was used by AVEM.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
I've owned pieces with that Yellow label by Barovier, Avem and Seguso too, so I think it was used on many makers not just Avem.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand