No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Glasshouse  (Read 16026 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
The Glasshouse
« on: July 23, 2005, 10:26:51 AM »
The Glasshouse, founded by Sam Herman in Neal Street as a studio where some of his graduating students from the Royal College of Art could work, developed into an important and influential British studio and moved to larger premises in Long Acre. After many years in that location, it moved to a location in Islington but it closed a few years ago.

During its London incarnations, many significant names in British studio glass had some form of association with it in one way or other. Pauline Solven, one of Sam's first RCA students, was the first manager. Jane Bruce was also one of the early members. By the early eighties the core members were Annette Meech, Christopher Williams, Steven Newell, David Taylor, Fleur Tookey and Catherine Hough. Simon Moore was also a member. From time to time guests such as Charlie Meaker worked there for short periods, and the film-maker, Anthony Stern, walked by one day and was immediately entranced by watching hot glass being blown, to the extent that he enrolled in a course of lessons, applied to the RCA to do a Masters degree and switched careers. I actually took some evening classes there myself, for fun, since in those days I was primarily involved in selling  other people's glass, including works by Glasshouse members.

During the mid-eighties Steven Newell, Catherine Hough, and Simon Moore  left the Glasshouse and set up their own studio, (Glassworks, London) in Islington. I still have a copy of the estate agents letter asking me for a reference, and my reply, which was obviously sufficiently favourable to enable them to rent the premises!  Later on Simon Moore left Glassworks and set up on his own.

The two people who were members of the Glasshouse for almost its entire existence, were Annette Meech and Christopher Williams. After the Islington location closed they moved to France, where they continue to make beautiful glass. http://www.sivignonglass.com/ They would be the best people to advise whether the paperweight shown was made in the London glasshouse.

The history and chronology related above is from memory. Please excuse any inaccuracies.

:D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: The Glasshouse
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
Biography of Sam Herman here: http://www.samueljherman.com/Biography/Biography.html which adds a bit more to Adam's excellent summary above. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Tha Glasshouse; addendum to Adam's post
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »
[Mod: Thread now merged with Adam's original. Parts of this post have been edited for tidying.]

I went to an Exhibition in London, "The Glasshouse and its Tree", in 2008 and have the booklet published to accompany it. At the back (p.31) there is a full "Time-line" of the artists who were there and their dates.

I thought this might be useful information to add to what Adam has written.

Sam Herman 1969
Pauline Solven 1969
Jane Bruce 1971
Annette Meech 1971
Dillon Clarke 1971
Fleur Tookey 1972
Steven Newell 1974
David Taylor 1974
Christopher Williams 1977
Charlie Meaker 1978
Simon Moore 1979
Kirsten Janssen 1979
Catherine Hough 1980
Anita Omitogan 1980
Fiona Peckam 1981
Libby MacReady 1981
Ronnie Wilkinson 1981
Annabelle Newham 1982
Gail Sherwood 1982
Angela Meech 1982
Wenna Bishop 1983
Ed Burke 1984
Ruth Dresman 1984
Shrila Basu 1984
Bob Crookes 1986
Helena Blom 1987
Janusz Posniak 1987
Helena Kaiser 1987
Misako Handa 1987
Ben Dunnington 1989
Rob Marshall 1990
Helen Millard 1990
Marius Chalkadakis 1991
James Watts 1991
Harvey Mears 1992
Nic Inman 1993
Annabelle Walker 1994
Jasemin Aslan 1995
Max Campbell 1996
Pete Durkin 1997
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline SaraCampbell

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Charlotte
Re: The Glasshouse
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:30:43 AM »
Biography of Sam Herman. Early life. Samuel J. Herman was birthed in Mexico City in 1936. His daddy passed away when he was an infant as well as he and also his mom transferred to the USA when he was six years old. From 1955 to 1959 Herman offered in the U.S. Navy.

https://www.sheerglass.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand