No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who are the important British Domestic Glass designers of the 20th century?  (Read 145854 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Who are the important British Domestic Glass designers of the 20th century?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
 Come On Nigel, you forgot Constance Spry, Brierley,fantastic glass for flower arranging. I know Simon Cottle loves her glass.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
I agree with Patrick, his grandfather was also involved with Dunne- Cooke at Whitefriars and they came up with some great designs,D C also designed for a couple of major Swedish companies, but there is little info on him,I am sure at least one of you will put that right.

Hi John, Patrick,

I couldn't resist responding to your last comment! An article on Dunne Cooke will be published in the next Journal of the Glass Association. I found a small archive of material including some original DC design drawings, an original Elfverson catalogue from the mid 1930's (all made by Strombergsyttan and mostly designed by Gerda) and twenty pieces of glass including the DC designs in the V&A. On of the huge cut pieces is monographed DC and one of the books is deadicated to DC from Gerda Stromberg. The glass is being exhibited at the Country Seat from 23rd Nov to 8th Dec.

Enjoy!

Graham

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
hi Graham, Thanks for that info, I was going to try to get to the exhibition and have been to all the previous ones. They always make a tremendous effort and anyone who can make the trip will not be disappointed.
 Just to put the records straight............ It was my Father Edmond Hogan that worked with Dunne-Cooke .
 Best wishes  Patrick.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2007, 06:51:46 PM »
Yes sorry Patrick got my Hogans mixed up.I believe It has been suggested that Dunne Cooke was the inspiration for the Whitefriars knobbly streaky range,i bought my first piece of Whitefriars Dunne Cooke glass fifteen years ago, several glass experts said no thats not Whitefriars,i still have five pieces,. one of them is a large fully signed and numbered bowl.I look forward to the exhibition its well overdue and who better to do it than The Country Seat.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
Will Cort graduated from Stourbridge College and spent 10 years with Webb Corbett finishing as Chief Designer for Royal Doulton Crystal. 1987 became Head of Design at Royal Brierley Crystal (The Glass Cone #14, 1987)

Iestyn Davies. Stourbridge B. A. Glass Course. during that period 'designing three new ranges with Michael Harris for Isle of Wight Glass'. 1985 and 1987 he was employed by Stuart Crystal as resident Coloured Glass Development Artist and designed 5 ranges which were featured at the N.E.C. Craft Fair '86. Set-up Osiris Glass 1987 (The Glass Cone #14, 1987)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
Rachael Woodman designer for Dartington Glass (The Glass Cone #15, 1987)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
William Stanier A.R.C.A. FBII Industrial Art Award. Studied at Stourbridge College of Art, Studied glass design in Sweden. Design several pieces of Stuart Crystal shown at "Britain Can Make It" exhibition.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Another name...

Adam Aaronson - certainly added to 20th century glass, but who better to decide if he belongs here...  ;)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Edward Robbins - Pirelli Glass Limited, designed Guinness animals and other Pirelli Glass figures. (1950's)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
It can be told now... ;)

Peter Tysoe: Studio glass artist, but revamped the Chance range in 1970. Designs include Ocean Spray and Gold Spray, Honeysuckle and, most significantly, the alluring Psychedelic pattern. Peter was also responsible for the new shapes and logo, plus Glacier and Grey Dawn ranges.

Robert Barrington: Cannot be confirmed for sure (and it may never be), but was quite probably involved, if not instrumental, in first creating the Chance handkerchief vase and may be the person behind Swirl :clap: Was definitely responsible for the Hellenic design.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand