No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!  (Read 297068 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 08:34:31 PM »
David
re SDV

It could stand for Seguso Dalla Venezia & C. Srl. (1951-65)

re L Nason

What a beautiful and fascinating label !!!!
And something of a mystery !!!
From Murano Magic it would seem that the only person this could refer to is Lino Nason "who operated a glass workshop on Muranop in the 1930's".
The only other L.Nason is Leonardo (1830-1900) !!!
An extensive Nason family tree is shown in Murano Magic but Lino does not appear as his relationship to other members of the Nason family is unknown !!!
Pete

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 08:54:41 PM »
Terry
Peter, I have several pieces of Maestri Vetrai. With one I got a little card. Here is their website http://www.azzurrasrl.it/ Hope you speak Italian. Terry

I thought you only had one ! What have you been hiding from me ???
Thank you so much for this link. I have had such great difficulty finding out about Maestri Vetrai. I had assumed they were a relatively modern firm going by the style of the label or indeedsome kind of commisioning/importing/branding company...but on the contrary it seems they have an illustrious past !!!
I don't really speak Italian buut I can guess some of it from enforced schoolboy Latin .... I admit I never thought that reading about Ceasar's cohorts would ever come in handy.
Pete

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »
3vigndnuova

(via della) Vigna Nuova is a street in central Florence
Pete

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 10:03:11 PM »
I'd suggest looking to see what company with a name starting with K was located at no 3 Vigna Nuova in Florence then.  :wink:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 11:38:42 PM »
Peter: SDV label

It could stand for Seguso Dalla Venezia & C. Srl. (1951-65)

Thanks, that seems very appropriate!

re L Nason

What a beautiful and fascinating label !!!!
And something of a mystery !!!
From Murano Magic it would seem that the only person this could refer to is Lino Nason "who operated a glass workshop on Muranop in the 1930's".

Very much a mystery it would appear! I would definitely think the style was c.1960, which is qualified by the Seguso variant, but do you have any idea how long Lino Nason was operating? This piece looks much later than the 1930s to me, although the label is quite worn. Just to confirm it does state 'Murano' above and 'Venezia' below so it is Muranese, not just Venetian.

From what I can work out on Italian [speaking] sites, he worked from the Barovier & Toso furnaces for 32 years (till 1962)?

I was also aware of the large Nason clan but apart from V.Nason their other pieces seem quite hold to find, Nason & Moretti aside.

But if it's Leonardo who made it, I'll eat the clam! :lol:

Well done Anne and Peter on Javier's label – could still be a dealer label though.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005, 02:25:19 PM »
Until recently I had taken "Made in Italy" stickers to mean "NOT Murano" but going by recent submissions here that would not necessarily appear to be the case. Indeed we have examples here of labels which don't mention Murano (only Italy) alongside Murano labels on the same item.
Life gets more complicated................. :shock:
Pete

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »
Javier
Thank you for examples of the number labels. The Seguso one is very nice. I assume these numbers are production numbers.
I have heard these referred to as "etickets"(spell ?). I don't know if this applies to just the plain ones or not..
In Neuwirth's Glas 1950-60 there is a b&w photo of some of these types of labels titled "Ettiketten und Stempel". I'm guessing that "stempel" means the glossy printed type.
One of these has 2 numbers, one preceded with an L, I would guess for Italian Lire (thousands of). Many items shown in the book have the original prices quoted in the notation to the pictures.
Pete

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2005, 02:46:16 PM »
do you have any idea how long Lino Nason was operating?
No David, that quote + the lack of relationship was pretty much everything in the book about him !!
Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2005, 03:59:18 PM »
ETIKETT (One t) = label
STEMPEL = Stamp (presumably etched)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Until recently I had taken "Made in Italy" stickers to mean "NOT Murano" but going by recent submissions here that would not necessarily appear to be the case. Indeed we have examples here of labels which don't mention Murano (only Italy) alongside Murano labels on the same item.
Life gets more complicated................. :shock:

Hi Peter,
The particular labels I just posted were taken from known "Murano" pieces.
The 1st one, which is square in shape, was from a Barbini Fazzoletto vase. The 2nd one is from a Barovier Graffitto bird, and the 3rd is from another Seguso Fazzoletto vase. I would not say that "any" label with "Made In Italy" is in fact considered "Murano", spacially if they are newer. So saying that, I would still refer back to the techniques, shapes, and over all style of the piece with such labels before making a decision.
I know, more confusion, lol.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand