No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!  (Read 297101 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2005, 09:31:01 PM »
Frank, thanks for the translation!

Quote from: "Frank"
ETIKETT (One t) = label
STEMPEL = Stamp (presumably etched)

Hi Peter,
The numbers refer to the style of the item, and sometimes to the item # in production, that is why sometimes they also have letters, and multiple numbers in 1 label. Without a catalogue to refer back to it is hard to say.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2005, 12:26:43 PM »
More labels:

Click on thumbnails to enlarge

The first is a uranium green vase 8½" (21.5cm) tall. Strictly speaking I don't think this is Murano, but 'Venetian'. The label (badly ripped) merely states 'Venetian Art [Glass?]' and is situated on the neck. It also has one of the small circular 'Made in Italy' labels on the base. The central portion of this label has a tiny logo that looks like a 'G' with an 'H' in the centre, so either 'G.H' or 'H.G' is the maker?

:

The second is a clear plastic label, with gold lettering. On the left side is written vertically 'Murano', with 'Vetreria Artistica' and 'OBALL' to the right. Any clues to the maker?

:

The label is shown twice, as the backlit version shows the lettering clearer.

[edited to correct spelling on label: "Vetreria" with the last 'a' - label not terribly good!]
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »
Hi David,
Thanks for the posting. I think the label on the Green Vase is the same as the one CathyG posted (from the Orange and Yellow Sommerso Decanter) on the 1st page, at least looks very similar, so your piece might be Cenedese too... and I have to say that is the cutest OWL I have ever seen, :D

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005, 07:33:19 PM »
Javier,

Thanks for the info - I didn't have time to scrutinise the earlier postings so am pleased to learn it's a "known" maker. I actually only paid about £5 for it (~ $10) although it does have a small chip on the rim. Good news is I managed to find another on eBay.

As for the owl, I also have his big brother, who was made by V.Nason:

:

Click to enlarge

A massive, heavy beastie at 7½" (19cm) with pulegoso effect to create the excellent feathered effect. I have several other examples of V.Nason that I can post.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2005, 10:31:06 AM »
Hi,

As mentioned in the 'Fazzoletto' thread, here is the label. Please click thumbnail to enlarge.

Around the edge it mentions; 'SAN MARCO : MURANO : Made in Italy. Does anyone know the maker?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 04:07:25 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
... Around the edge it mentions; 'SAN MARCO : MURANO : Made in Italy. Does anyone know the maker?

Hi DenCill,
I dont know, havent seen the label before either. Looks like a current manufacturers label.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
I do have another piece with a label but the label is so badly worn that it would not photograph well.

Silver Triangle (pointing up)
with a drawing of a stylized gondola bow covering most of it
and in between the words:
"Italy" centre
"Glass" up left hand side
"Murano" - across the bottom

Its on a sculptural modernist sommerso basket very similar in color and style to a piece shown on the left of page 223 of Pina's Italian Glass, marked as Frattelli Toso.
Pete

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2005, 06:02:12 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
More labels:

Click on thumbnails to enlarge

The first is a uranium green vase 8½" (21.5cm) tall. Strictly speaking I don't think this is Murano, but 'Venetian'. The label (badly ripped) merely states 'Venetian Art [Glass?]' and is situated on the neck. It also has one of the small circular 'Made in Italy' labels on the base. The central portion of this label has a tiny logo that looks like a 'G' with an 'H' in the centre, so either 'G.H' or 'H.G' is the maker?

David, I have a peacock vase made by the Swedish glass company Elme, which has a label with G.H as described by you.  I have always believed this to be the U.K. Importer's label, i.e. George Hardy. (check out my label to see if its the same as yours).  I have had other pieces in the past with the same GH logo on, and these have included pieces by Aseda Glasbruk.  I have also seen the same label on Raymor glass too.  

I've just got back from Falmouth, and really missed the GMB, so if I'm proved wrong about George Hardy, then blame it on too much sand, sea and ... :lol:
Regards Anne E.B.
http://tinypic.com/9qzius.jpg
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2005, 07:01:40 PM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
David, I have a peacock vase made by the Swedish glass company Elme, which has a label with G.H as described by you.

Hi Anne,

Thanks, this is starting to get clearer. The label is identical apart from the wording. Javier reckoned it was a Cenedese vase, so I assume Hardy imported a variety of glass and just used appropriate labels!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2005, 07:30:24 PM »
Hi David.  Just checked "Glass Notes" on Great Glass website which states that G.H. were active in 1950s, importing Scandinavian and Murano glassware.  
Regards - Anne E.B. :lol:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand