No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!  (Read 297099 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2005, 12:14:19 PM »
Thanks again, Anne - I took a peek myself and it does state 'blue/silver' labels, whereas mine is red/gold. Could be that different colours were used for different countries?

Also nice to date it to around the 1950s.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2005, 03:56:35 PM »
I only have two pieces with their labels still attached:-

The first is a geometric vase - "Christallo - Vetreria - G . Campanella & C."
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/falmouthglass012.jpg  
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/muranolabels009.jpg

The second, a bowl I am led to believe by Flavio Poli.  The gold label is very worn, but the shape is quite distinctive.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/bestpiece002.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/bag001.jpg
Anne E.B

Anonymous

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2005, 11:54:32 PM »
Anne, your green bowl is definitely not Flavio Poli nor Seguso.  I am not even sure if it is Italian, as I've seen both Bohemian and Canadian (Chalet) pieces with this kind of free form shape.

Poli's sommerso work always features very clean lines and simple shapes. I've never seen anything like this from him.

Laura

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2005, 01:29:53 PM »
Thanks Laura :) .  Its back to the drawing board on that one :roll:   Fortunately it wasn't described as such when I bought it, otherwise I would have been well and truly had!  However, it is still a fantastic piece of glass and I luuurrrve it.   I have seen the exact one described as being by Poli on the net in the past and grasped at the connection.  Mustn't believe everything I read :oops:
Regards - Anne E.B.
Anne E.B

Anonymous

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2005, 05:10:04 PM »
Hi Anne,

It is still a lovely piece of glass, so don't feel bad. It is quite possible that it is from the same period, although I suspect it to be a tad later than the 1950s.  Have you seen the website dedicated to Chalet glass?  It is worth a look. Also, try searching for bohemian glass on ebay, as you will see similar types of items.

Best,

Laura

Offline chuggy

• Members
labels
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »
Sorry to go back on this trend, but on the L Nason label shown earlier and subsequent comments, I've always understood that Lino Nason was not a person, but was used for pieces made in a collaboration between Ermanno Nason and the graphic artist Lino Perone from La Spezia in the late 1970's early 1980's.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2005, 07:49:42 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this new information and there's not a problem going back; I'm just interested in a correct attribution!

The style of these dishes could be anytime from 1960 to 2000s and what you've provided is most useful. It would also explain why we couldn't find an L. Nason that fitted the profile!  :)

I know Ermanno Nason was most famous for his animal sculptures in the 1960s, so it's interesting to learn of this collaboration.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2005, 01:36:57 AM »
Hi,
We found this label on the web and it was given an attribution of Fratelli Toso??? Can anyone confirm that and if it is the period of time it was used?
Javier, you might find this interesting as I saw an angel candleholder with the solid flat base similar to that on your site except this one had the most darling bright red lips! Anyway, just a tiny piece of the label was left. And, it had this blue line and dot border edge. I wasn't aware that Fratelli Toso did any figurines. Wish I had a pic of the one we saw but it isn't ours... at least not yet!
Lenore

Picture gone!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2005, 06:46:19 PM »
Hello Lenore,
I am not sure how I feel about taking photos from other members, maybe on Ebay or somewhere else, and posting them here on the boards to find out info about them.... not to be mean or anything, but just something to think about.
On Fratelli Toso, yes he did figures like every other Italian designer, in one form or another. I really do not think Toso ever used that label.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2005, 11:17:36 PM »
Ref - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/glass47/sticker.jpg - if it helps this label is an import label - the importer is 'G Hardy & Co' who imported Aseda (Sweden), Kosta, etc as well as Murano glass - here is a bit of Aseda on eBay with same label only 'Swedish Art Glass' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7345553969&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT if you do a bit of homework you can find who Hardy imported for and narrow it down
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand