No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!  (Read 297071 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano 101: Murano Labels!!!
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=105

I think the bowl I posted the other day and identified as Fratelli Toso by Anita has a label which may be the same as the one above.
I have attached a pic of the label on my bowl which you are welcome to upload to the labels gallery as I didn't see it there.  My apologies if it is and I missed it  :)  And as Anita pointed out, under a magnifying glass and spotlight I can make out IN ITALY in the middle of the label.  The word MADE is not identifiable.  The IN ITALY is in caps but  smaller font than the MURANO GLASS around the outside.
regards
M

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2009, 12:27:16 PM »
Import Label - Genuine Venetian Glass, Bramor, Made in Murano Italy on red scalloped label. Bramor was/is possibly a import company for glass into Australia back mid 1900's. Saw another label like this on ebay the other day by a sellor in Australia for red/blue geode style bowl. I believe Bramor supplied Murano glass to the better jewellers here in Australia. Bramor pops onto Australian ebay every now and then.  ;D

Pic of the label and bowl it is on.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Label - Genuine Hand Made In Italy Arno Arte Toscana in scroll form with a picture of glassworks. Not Murano I know but hopefully it will be ok to post here.

Pic of label and the companion piece as the orange has a chipped rim (my fault).

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2010, 03:45:12 AM »

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:35 PM »
Aureliano Toso Label for a Dino Martens piece. Paper label, 'Made In Italy'. Also a pic of the piece it came of.

Offline Shelleys1

• Members
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2010, 02:04:36 AM »
I've just found our Murano101 labels album on GlassGallery is being quoted as an online reference source for Murano Glass on ehow.com :)  http://www.ehow.com/how_5146007_buy-vintage-murano-glass-resale.html

Hi Anne!
I'm new to this wonderful board but far from new to glass (Murano in particular!). Anita can probably attest to this. *smile* I do have one "bone to pick" with the person who wrote the article on ehow.com. While I very much commend her on referencing this site for the Murano 101 labels album, I'm afraid I disagree with her putting Leslie Pina as the top reference/source of information on Murano glass. Quite honestly, there are only two people who I believe are the most reliable references both in the past 20 years and today. They are Marc Heiremans and Rosa Barovier Mentasti. I hate to be critical but Leslie Pina has made too many mistakes in her books and especially the latest one on Archimede Seguso. (Of course, only my opinion, fwiw.)

I truly don't claim to be an expert! But I've been buying, selling and deeply involved in collecting glass going on nearly 30 years now. While my interests range from everyone from our brilliant American Studio glassmasters to the incomparable masters such as Tagliapietra (and so many more), I admit I am a stickler when it comes to authors publishing reference books and not getting their facts correct. No one is perfect, but Pina hasn't done a good enough job to be labelled as the "best refrerence on Murano glass" and other glass as well.

(Sorry for the rant! I do love what y'all are doing here and I hope I can get involved, if you want me around...without "rants" LOL)

Shell :-[

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
Hi, Shell, and welcome! Leslie Pina did have some trouble with her early Fifties Glass books. It was riddled with errors. I think her Italian Glass Century 20 is an excellent primer for people learning about vintage Murano. I've not noticed any real problems with it. Her later books on Fratelli Toso and Archimede Seguso have a couple of mistakes, but I've not seen any real problem with them. Maybe you can start a thread in the Glass Museum Cafe to talk about the problems with the books. It should be interesting. There may be things that I don't realize are wrong.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
Just thought I would add a couple of labels on two Murano paperweights . The first you already have a pic of in blue. The second on the base of the fish-cane paperweight is probably from an exporter. Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
I suspect Alfredo Barbini labels are probably covered already but I don't have time to check the whole thread and I won't remember later so I'm just going to throw this one out there with the Swan it was found on :)

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »
Hi everyone  :hi:

Indeed this is a topic that is well needed in the industry with so many fake products being produced in China and being sold as genuine Murano.  What everyone must be careful of is the fact that there may still be NEW products in the market place that have actually been produced in China but have a Murano or MADE IN ITALY label attached.  This may still be the case after the Carbinieri seized over 11 million fake items worth approximately 16 Million USD from Venice in July 2010.  The only way you can be sure is know your makers, the styles and techniques used, a bit of history on Murano glass and most of all, purchase from someone who will stand behind what they sell. 

This is my 2 cents worth as a lover of Murano glass who has now built the largest website of its type anywhere in the world devoted to the most fascinating and beautiful of all art forms - Venetian Glass blowing!

Ciao

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum