No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli "Corroso" Bowl (I Hope)  (Read 2907 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Flavio Poli "Corroso" Bowl (I Hope)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:54:14 AM »
Charles:

I came across some information that may interest you in Rosa Barovier Mentasti's book on Fuga. In the technical section at the end, she defines "acid etching." "The technique uses hydrofluoric acid, the only acid that can corrode glass at room temperature, in a wide variety of mixtures that attack the glass more or less aggressively.... A variation of acid etching is the Venetian 'corroso' technique, characterized by a surface that is similar to ice, or craquele. The surface of the glass is covered irregularly with wax using a sponge. The object is then plunged into a tank full of sawdust soaked with a hydrofluoric acid compound."

My last post had it the wrong way around as corroso is a variation of acid etching.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »
I would have no qualms about attributing this to Poli, if it were mine. he did a lot of work in these subdued brown/amber colors. The aesthetics of the piece, as well as the technique, are correct.  It also appears to be technically flawless, which is a sign of Poli's work for Seguso Vetri d'Arte.

Very nice find!

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:28 AM »
Thanks Laura.  I really appreciate your authoritative assistance.  Neophytes such as myself really appreciative of experts who generously take time to answer these questions.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:50 AM »
I think this looks more like a Galliano Ferro piece than Poli from its shape.
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand