No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Commemorative ware  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Chance Commemorative ware
« on: September 22, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
I bought a big load of odd boxes at auction today. One had a lot of chance glass in it. Before I post pics of the 'don't knows' I'll just ask> Prince charles as a small boy, Princess anne, toddler, Marriage of Queen and Philip all in black and white?? Also the 1954 West Bromwich Albion footy team. If you don't know or want to see I'll post the pics when I've done some.

Pat
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Chance Commemorative ware
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »
Pat, I have seen all these, but post pictures if you wish, for other people to see.

The Royal commemorative dishes are seen fairly often, although a complete set of three is unusual. They were made in two sizes: 5-in and 8-in (however, I have only seen the Royal couple in the larger size). But if the one of the Royal couple is on the circular dish, with a looped 'Greco' edge, then this dates to 1952 to commemorate the Queen's accession to the throne, not the marriage (much earlier, and before Fiestaware was made!)

The novelty tray featuring the WBA FA Cup winning team is quite scarce, and dates to 1954 when they beat Preston N.E. 3-2. Being local to Smethwick (and the most popular team at Chance), it is not known whether they were commissioned by Albion, or if Chance simply took advantage of the situation. Selling this as a piece of football memorabilia, as well as Chance glass, it could do quite well. They also have one of these dishes at Smethwick Heritage Centre.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »
I will post pics but the small ones of the children with looped greco edge are 4.75" and the large one of the royal couple which says Royal Souvenir has the looped greco edge but is 9.75" diameter.

Offline Pat

• Members
Re: Chance Commemorative ware - updated with photos
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
Here are the photos:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 03:35:10 PM »
I must have the larger size wrong - I don't see them that often - so 10-in (9¾-in slumped) is probably correct.

I would also like to make it clear that all the dishes were available at 5-in, but I think only the Royal couple was seen at 10-in.

I also got the edge name wrong - not having a good day...! It should be termed 'Lace' as it is the same as seen on the Lace Fiestaware.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand