No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard "Cluck Cluck"  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Holmegaard "Cluck Cluck"
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:32:44 AM »
This decanter was easy enough to identify even without the Holmegaard label.  What puzzles me is the enameled metal badge on a chain that was hung around the neck.  It reminds me of those we often run across that read Brandy or Scotch, however an Internet search did not turn up any thing, or any company, going by that name.  I suspect it may possibly be the name of an adult beverage, as the size of the bottle makes it a highly unlikely container for even an inexpensive perfume.

If anyone recognizes (or can translate) the badge, I would be most grateful.  Clicking on the thumbnail, will enlarge the photo.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Holmegaard "Cluck Cluck"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »
Paul, it seems to be the German for First Aid - see here: http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/translation/German/Erst+Hilfe

I'd guess it's a humorous thing...

By the way, the stopper looks a little odd. I've not seen a patterned one like that before, is it a good fit?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:59:04 AM »
Isn't that a Kastrup label on it? Or are my eyes failing me?  ;D

Neither the stopper nor the tag are original to the decanter, incidentally..

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:29:11 AM »
The stopper is a perfect fit.  Page 181 of Fire and Sea, shows two different stoppers, so I wonder if Holmegaard might have produced different stoppers for different customers - assuming they sold some of the bottles for commercial use.

As for the label, since Kastrup and Holmegaard merged in 1965, I would not think it that strange to find that labels were used interchangeably.  (Run out of one label, no need to hold up shipment, slap on the ones you do have in stock.) 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:52:42 AM »
It's more likely that that decanter was made by Kastrup, pre-merger. I've never found any glass that definitely dates to after 1965 bearing the old-style Kastrup or Holmegaard labels - which isn't to say that it didn't happen. But this blue was used by Kastrup, as well as Kastrup-Holmegaard.

As for stoppers, you can find them facet-cut (around 1900), with applied rosettes (1900 - 1930), plain (1850s - present), and crown-shaped (1938 - c.2000). These are the only Holmegaard/Kastrup stoppers that I have records for. Stylistically, yours just doesn't match the decanter.

Offline Madbrit

• Members
  • West German Pottery, & Scandinavian Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
You can buy that tag in most large department stores.... 8)
Text and images © Kevin Graham

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:54:34 PM »
Well let's see... I got a Danish bottle with a German badge, a replacement stopper, and quite possibly the wrong label at a garage sale in upstate New York, and it only cost me a dollar.  Given the state of American currency, it is difficult to think how I might better have spent the money.  :spls:

Thanks again to everyone.  

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
The paper label is quite correct!  ;D

I'd have quite happily handed over a dollar for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand