No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Ysart  (Read 13578 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Unusual Ysart
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
Hi all

Interesting Ysart posted on Ebay.com 320161697069 . All the canes I checked looked good as do the 2 PY canes.

Checked the Ysart glass book but cant see anything similar - KevH shows a reasonably similar design but from the 1930's - I thought that Paul only started with flat ground bases when he was at Caithness ?

Any further thoughts?

Regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Unusual Ysart
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:57:21 PM »
Transparent cushions needed a flat polished base. Very nice it is too!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 11:33:17 PM »
Yes, there are lots of pre-Caithness period PY weights with a flat, polished base.

Frank's point is valid but it seems that sometimes when a design was set in clear glass, rather than having a coloured ground of some form, the base would not be polished if the pontil area was not easily visible through the design. Perhaps the eBay weight could just as easily have had a non-polished base. I can't prove it, but perhaps unpolished bases on "clear-ground" weights occur more often on concentric designs where there is little space between the rows of canes.
KevinH

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »
Hi all

Frank thats a very good point ! although I take what KevH says - in this particular weight I would have thought that the central
design was large enough to hide any pontil mark.

Kev - you say that there are lots of pre-Caithness period PY weights with a flat polished base - do they go all they way back to the 1930's ?? or to put it another way - what period do you think this weight is from??

I see it is generating a fair bit of interest already with 5 different bidders.

Best regards

Derek

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 01:25:16 AM »
I cannot tell when the weight may have been made, without checking under UV. And even then it's not always easy to say if a weight is 30s, 40s or 50s. That design is known from the 1930s but perhaps it could just as easily have been made any time right up to when Paul closed up.

I do not think the design is particularly unusual, although not many weights are known with two py canes. I have two of that general design but one is unsigned and so not included in my web pages which show only the signed weights. I have seen several other examples, so there are probably quite a lot around.

And I don't think 5 early bidders is much of an indication of "a fair bit of interest" for a good signed weight like this one. But I suppose many more folk may well be watching with a view to late bidding and no doubt several folk have set up their sniping bids. Perhaps I am in one of those categories??
KevinH

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »
Hi Kev

Suppose I guessed as much on the date !

I was surprised at the number of bidders that are already expressing an interest and bidding serious money so early in the auction - normally they play their cards at the last minute - or have  a snipe set up.

Good luck should you be in one of those categories !

Derek 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
Probably because it is a stunning weight, this could also push up the benchmark on prices... look at the size of the bruise!

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »
Hi Frank

and look how near the outer ring of canes appears to the edge of the dome - any restoration and I bet theres a fair chance that the ring of canes will be virually invisible from the top

Regards

Derek

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 08:03:42 PM »
Only an idiot would polish it out and would certainly loose the optical effect! On the other hand it is good to see people rating beauty above minor defects.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »
It's only the dome magnification effect that makes the canes appear to be close to the edge. But if really heavy polishing was needed to remove the bruise, then there could be some distortion of the view of the garland of canes from the top view.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand