No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some new Murano weights with beautiful aventurine  (Read 12508 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Some new Murano weights with beautiful aventurine
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:44:51 AM »
Hi

Three new paperweight buys

1) 2.8” diam, 2” high – ground and polished base (unseen by me before, has an outer circular ridge, a round circular foot and a central convex area) – very good quality with fantastic colours, I love the aventurine base that sparkles out of the wide casing and  melds into a beautiful translucent blue that holds the canes. The convex base section is clear; it acts like a window to the insides showing the aventurine distribution and placement of all the canes. The central rose is a quite lovely, and can be seen scattered in miniature in number 3.
Number 1

2) 2.4” diam, 2” high – close-pack weight with some fantastic canes of great detail and fine quality – lovely mottled swirl of colours cone down to a polished flat base with small, clear window that shows the inside of paperweight.
Number 2

3) 3” diam, 2” high – base exactly the same as number one. Same use of aventurine to base with the translucent blue hardly seen because of the close-pack ‘five sided’ coloured stones each containing multi coloured flowers with white petals, evenly spaced are miniature roses in exactly the same configuration as the central rose in number one, again this weight has wide casing, as with number one, to allow the aventurine to sparkle.
Number 3

I have some ideas but any help on attribution will be most helpful

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Some new Murano weights with beautiful aventurine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:06 PM »
All three are Fratelli Toso. I think number two is a different age than the other two but I don't now which is older. My guess is that 1 and 2 are an older style. You can see the same cane in 3 that is the center cane in 1.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »
There is a new company in Murano calling themselves 'Millefiori Factory'.  Some of the canes in no.s 1 and 3 are very similar to those they are using.  You can see examples and information about them on Jackie Lindsay's site, here:  http://www.muranopaperweights.co.uk/millefiori.html 

I think no. 2 is older.  I have a similar one, with many of the canes which are in yours. 

Leni
Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:54:45 AM »
Just 'larned' some new info. I saw a couple weights with canes like number two bearing Oggetti labels.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »
Hi, Oggetti, as in the label Oggetti D'Arte simply means "Objects" in Italian.
There is one weight on eBay now, item 250158242997, with a label.

My guess is that the label belongs to the reseller/gallery.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »
Erg. The Italians don't make things easy for us do they?

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
I understand from Jackie that the new glasshouse 'Millefiori Factory' are putting labels on all their weights, but IMHO etching would be better.  Although I know it wouldn't help with older weights! 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand