No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brightly coloured jar.. Date help and ID please  (Read 1197 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Brightly coloured jar.. Date help and ID please
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:25:32 AM »
I got quite a few glass items today which Im trying to identify. This jar really took my eye in the shop.

Its a cross between red and orange. Very bright and just stood out from everything else. Full glass stopper and its pressed Im guessing with the seam. Bubbles in the glass and slightly taller than a cola can.

Any ideas on the correct colour name for this? And any other information would be great. Thanks in advance.

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Brightly coloured jar.. Date help and ID please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 02:44:20 AM »
Well, Trudy, these appear on Australian eBay occasionally, and they appear in that bright red/orange and a bright yellow. I can't recall seeing other colours. Marjorie Graham, in Australian Glass of the 19th and Early 20th Century has these as being made in Sydney by one of the short lived factories in the early 20th century, but perhaps this is on of the few cases in which she may have made a mistake?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »
Cathy, I would say you are correct if you have a picture of one and the details. Do you have any pinpointed date in the book?  Thanks for finding that for me. :)

Trudy
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:06:50 AM »
Hi Trudy,

I'm not sure whether the attribution is right in this case. Mrs Graham's work in Australian glass was groundbreaking, but she was working at a time when there weren't even photocopiers, let alone computers, scanners, etc. She also did not have the benefit of seeing all the catalogues and worked instead from newspaper and magazine ads, spending several hours every evening for years reading through old Arguses and Sydney Morning Heralds. However, on occasion she has also worked from guesswork and it is sometimes hard to tell from the text whether she had good evidence for her attribution or has just gone by feel.

To me, the colours seem wrong for early Australian glass. I'd put a question mark next to it for the moment.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 05:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Cathy B
... However, on occasion she has also worked from guesswork and it is sometimes hard to tell from the text whether she had good evidence for her attribution or has just gone by feel. ...

Cathy & Trudy — If I could have a gold sovereign for every time I've said or thought just that, I would be the wealthiest man in England.  You've highlighted the the main fault in so many of our reference works, whether books, websites, or whatever.   Only a few hours ago I gave exactly the same warning about an unexplained attribution here.

It's so frustrating  :hb2:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »
I have one of these jars in bright yellow, I thought it was old Australian citron (uranium) glass, too because I had seen pieces like this attributed as being such. But it didn't glow under U.V, & I was disappointed.  :(
Now it lives in my bathroom holding cotton balls.
I got in an op shop several years ago, & I see them around a lot at markets. I have seen a set of orange ones in different sizes.
I actually think they date from the 1960s or 70s. The orange colour is very typical of this era.
Where they hail from, I don't know but I very much doubt an Australian origin.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »
Thanks for that Marinka! That tallies with my feeling on them as well, though I haven't seen them in the flesh/glass. It's good to know that the yellow ones don't glow.

Bernard, isn't it frustrating! A few of Mrs Graham's attributions have been questioned then found to be correct, and others seem very odd indeed, like the jars in question. It just goes to show the importance of referencing!

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 01:38:11 PM »
Marinka,

Ive seen the bright fluoro yellow ones too. There is a set in a local collectables shop. Weird thing is, some glowed, some didnt, although they looked the same. (I always carry my mini light with me) :)

Trudy
Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand