No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: FM Konstglas bowl? Pulegoso? Sfumato? Does anyone recognize this?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
FM Konstglas bowl? Pulegoso? Sfumato? Does anyone recognize this?
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:48:16 PM »
hi everyone,

i've hit the wall with this bowl  :spls: i submitted it to the murano board but didn't get any responses and i'm now, even more confused by it. it's got a layer of micro bubbled glass between layers of clear green and crystal clear glass with a deep amber inner rim. it's 9.5" (24cm) wide, 7.5" (19cm) deep and 2.25" (6cm) high. does anyone have an idea who might have made this bowl or what the technique should be called? i've never seen another quite like it.

then i came upon this thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9409.msg79804.html#msg79804 which got me thinking that it might be FM Konstglas about whom i know next to nothing but, i was under the impression that they produced mostly paperweights and sculptural/figural pieces. Any ideas that can help provide a direction for further research (if not an outright answer) are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
bidda

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: FM Konstglas bowl? Pulegoso? Sfumato? Does anyone recognize this?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »
Hi Bidda  :D  It's only been a week or so since you posted on the Murano board with this super little item - unfortunately it sometimes it takes weeks, months, or occasionally longer (eeek!) to get an answer.  It's a matter of waiting until someone spots it and identifies it.  ;)

I do feel certain it's Italian...it's a pretty typical shape, and I hope you get confirmation soon....or at least soon-ish.  :)

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Re: Sfumato...? :)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »
thank you, Max.

i didn't mean to be impatient  ::) i was going more by the number of times viewed w/o response rather than number of days. at this point (a girl can do a heck of a lot of research in a week) i'm pretty darn near certain that that the technique is sfumato, the origin is Murano and the probable maker is Barbini (based on my research to date). if anyone comes by that knows or thinks differently, though, i'm always happy to learn more.

thanks,

bidda

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: FM Konstglas bowl? Pulegoso? Sfumato? Does anyone recognize this?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
I am sure Max is correct about this being Murano, but also certain that your assumption that it is sfumato is not correct.  Sfumato effect is very very distinctive, and if you put it in search here you will see many examples. 

There are others on the board here that know more about pulegoso, but if they are microbubbles,  that is more likely.

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand