No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Massive old celery/vase — an engraver's / cutter's blank, perhaps???  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
This huge old celery or vase measures 14¾" / 37.5cm, rim d. 6½" / 16.5cm, foot d. 6¼" / 15.5cm, and weighs 7lb 7oz / 3.375kg.   No pontil mark — the flat base is actually very slightly concave, and there is considerable wear around the edge.

The amazing quadruple knopped stem sets off the plain vase above perfectly, but I did wonder whether it was a cutter's or engraver's blank that had escaped.   In particular, the ripple effect towards the base of the vase would have suited one of Walsh's Mr Douglas waterlily and iris engravings perfectly.   The surface of the vase available for further work measures approximately 170 sq in / 1100 sq cm.

All views on attribution, date, function, &c. most welcome.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Tell you what, that is some MOTHER of a vase....

As I said to Bernard at Cambridge, I can't imagine celery being long enough to still stick out of the top of the vase. I know old fashioned celery had longer tops than the supermarket stuff we can buy, but didn't even Victorians trim their celery tops?  I thought so, but now I am wondering?

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lesley7

• Members
  • Professional glass engraver since 1984
    • engraved glass
    • UK
    • Lesley Pyke - Glass Engraver
Hi Bernard, thanks for bringing this "mother" of a glass to show me at Cambridge....(he had to sit down to hold it on his lap , it is so big  ;D ), would love to engrave it, but as we saw it definately lacked the brightness of crystal when put next to Tudor crystal, although on its own it looks fabulous. I wonder what it was made for? I like the still life with the apple  ;D
If there is no wind.....ROW.
http://www.lesleypyke.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Hi Bernard, thanks for bringing this "mother" of a glass to show me at Cambridge....(he had to sit down to hold it on his lap , it is so big  ;D ), would love to engrave it, but as we saw it definately lacked the brightness of crystal when put next to Tudor crystal, although on its own it looks fabulous. I wonder what it was made for? I like the still life with the apple  ;D

I wonder who actually did make it?  Although not as white as modern lead crystal, it was still wonderful quality.  I think the colour of the glass probably indicates its age, although I am no expert. It didn't FEEL modern to me if you know what I mean?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand