No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What I bought at Cambridge  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
What I bought at Cambridge
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »
Here's my 'finds' from the Cambridge Glass Fair for Lynne - thank you for asking, Lynne  ;D

As well as the little Ariel bowl I'm asking about in the Glass forum, http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17584.0.html  I found a tiny little Victorian vaseline 'triffid' just over 3 inches high and half an inch in diameter ('nk you, Bernard!  ;D ) http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Tiny_triffid.jpg
and a Victorian vaseline 'Jack in the Pulpit' vase with twiggy feet - an interesting combination of styles! 
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Jack_in_the_pulpit_Audrey.jpg
My other purchase was a new piece.  I have been wanting a piece from Martin Andrews' 'Midnight Sun' range for some time now, and he just happened to have a lovely little bowl in that range with him at Cambridge!   
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Martin_Andrews_Midnight_Sun_bowl.jpg
So I was a very happy bunny all round  :dance:
Leni

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: What I bought at Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
Gorgeous Leni!

I love the Martin Andrews piece.  I really liked his sculptural pieces yesterday too, and especially the little stones perfume bottle. Wasn't it gorgeous!

Oh a funny story.  So you know you said that Jonathan had bought one of Layne's rolling vases?  So I went along to have a look at one, and he was showing it to a couple.  I was watching and asked, does it ever over balance?  (it seemed to be picking up speed not slowing down) No, he said, never.  Started it rolling again, and the darned thing just picked up more speed, and went right over on its side, like a rocking horse!  Pink faces all round!

But he couldn't make it do it again..... I must be a jinx!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Ooops!   ;)

Yes, I forgot Jonathan also bought something yesterday!  He's been after one of Layne's rolling vases for ages, and in fact Layne made this one specially for Jonathan after he asked for one at Art in Action earlier this year. 

I must admit they make me quite nervous, as I keep expecting them to roll off whatever they're on!  :-\ :o 

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Layne_Rowe_Rolling_Vase.jpg
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »
 ;D

Lovely, lovely, lovely stuff, Leni!
Martin Andrews - is he Glory Art glass, Isle of Wight?
The bottle is lovely - reminds me very much of IoWSG "Peat" and "Shamrock" pieces.

ooooh, and I want a yellow and black rocking vase for Michael. He'd just LOVE it.

However, I want a brown Scarpa vase for him too, and I want a huge stripey bottle vase for me, I like Layne and his work! (but he is a bit on the young side for me to consider fancyable - I don't go in for cradle snatching!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Martin Andrews:  No, he worked in Sweden for a while and then was with Peter Layton at the London Glassblowing Workshop until he set up on his own in 2000.

As I told him at Cambridge, I now have 3 pieces of his work so I reckon I am a Martin Andrews collector!  ;D
Leni

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
No doubt Peter Layton has been an incubator for some very nice contemporary glass artists.... I love the way he has taught them to SIGN THEIR WORK NICE AND CLEAR!!   :chky: :chky:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand