No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pulegoso bowl... i think?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
pulegoso bowl... i think?
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »
hi everyone,
a lovely, huge bowl came to me in today's mail and i'm a bit confused by it. it's got a layer of tiny, frothy bubbles between layers of clear green and crystal clear glass with a deep amber inner rim. it's 9.5" (24cm) wide, 7.5" (19cm) deep and 2.25" (6cm) high. the shape reminds me of barbini or seguso (it seems the more i see of the two the less able i am to tell them apart  :spls2:). does anyone have an idea as to who might have made this bowl and , if so, a ballpark value?

thanks,
bidda

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Re: pulegoso bowl... i think?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
could this be the technique refered to as "cased bollicine"  by... venini??? or would cased pulegoso be more accurate? if so, any ideas on who might have been responsible? i've seen other pieces with this technique called "sfumato" as well (though i tend to disagree with that label for most of what i've seen called such)... (i've not have my coffee quota yet, so please forgive me if i'm not making much sense).

bidda

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:50 AM »
Technique is Sfumatto.
Like smoke bubbles. Totally different from Bollicini or Pulegoso.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:35:45 PM »
Javier,
thanks :) i submitted this bowl for opinion on another board as well, where a spirited discussion bloomed. thoughts ranged from cased pulegoso to bollicine and there was some confusion over the difference between sfumato and polveri. in the end, i think i might have been more confused than in the beginning. after taking all the opinions in and processing them with the information gathered from my research i have come to the same conclusion as you; it's sfumato.

have a lovely day,

bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand