No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allan Scott - a master of the craft (Also Shona Spittal and Harry McKay)  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The last few days I have been working exclusively with images of, mostly, one-off weights by Allan Scott. There are now 163 examples of his work viewable. Mostly single images but several do have additional images.

Working with images at high magnification, up to four times larger than on the site, I kept on being impressed! Faced with so many weights in one session I was tempted to post them with only minor tweaking but as I sorted out the worst images I knew that I was looking at work of a quality that can be seen in Stankard weights. The loving attention to detail, the humorous touches, the careful choices and placing of colours - all complement with exceptional cutting and overall execution! I carefully removed all the backgrounds on even the most complex cuts and adjusted the colours when needed with an equal care.

So, do please take a long slow look at this body of work, it deserves it. One or two items have had their dates and names forgotten, some could do with additional views... so if you own any of these and can help out  :D

Allan Scott non CG 64 weights, including collaboration with Harry & Shona.

Allan Scott CG designs 99 currently showing and more to come.

Shona Spittal 28 collaborations, she has replaced Harry McKay since 2007 for Allan's SGS show weights. But the earliest shown is 1996

Harry McKay 38 collaborations - Harry did not survive the take over and is no longer working with glass - a huge loss to the glass world!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Allan Scott - a master of the craft (Also Shona Spittal and Harry McKay)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 07:45:01 PM »
Frank, I've looked at the pages but I can't see 'Lime Bouquet' (2005) or 'Bluebell Bouquet' (2006) both of which are one-off weights by Allan and Harry, which I own.  Can you check and see if they are there and I've just missed them?  If they are not, I'll photograph them and send them to you.  I also have the 1/1 original 3D version of 'Hanging Basket', which went into (limited) production in a simpler version in 1988.  I thought I has sent you a picture of that one?  If not, would you like me to?

I'm very proud to say I own no less than six Allan & Harry and one Allan & Shona one-off weights, plus a few of Allan's limited edition CG ones, too  ;D 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
Hi Leni, Lucky you  :mrgreen:

I would like the "The Teddy Bear Blows a Vase" but I don't think it has been made yet ;)

I only put up pictures that I got from Allan. Those two are missing. I may well have some more from you in the backlog but I always leapfrog the backlog when a glass maker sends in their work.

A quick look shows no sign of these... my organisation has improved since the earlier sendings from you and I think most of your images went into the earlier version of the site and subsequently moved to the new version. So please do send those pics.  ;D  It might be a while before they get uploaded :-)

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
Thanks as ever for the kind words,it is as always,. appreciated.A glassblowing bear?...theres a thought for the future :).

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:35 PM »
 ;D

+ thanks Leni.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:35 PM »
Would you like Hanging Basket too, Frank?  I will need to take another pic of that as the one I took for my records is a bit small.   
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
Yes please, but it will sit in backlog for a while as I rotate through the various sites and contributions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand