No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carlo Moretti Satinato Glass Set  (Read 5653 times)

Offline post50modern

• Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato Glass Set
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
Hello All,

I just purchased this set of Carlo Moretti glasses from 1959. Aside from a photo and a mention in his book "Carlo Moretti Cristalli si Murano 1958 - 1997", I cannot find any others for sale or even referenced ANYWHERE. I have searched Ebay, Googled Everything, searched for auctions at Wright20, Ragoarts, LAMODERN, etc. and connot find a thing on these glasses. Can anyone offer any further info on the design or availability of these truly mid century modern glasses. they are black satinato cased over white. As a reference, the largest glass is 8.5" tall. Would it be reasonable for me to assume these are rare seeing as how info is scarce on the internet? Or am I just being hopeful. :-) We have all seen Moretti's colorful satinato vases and vessels but I have never these...

I know he distributed through Rosenthal Netter back in the day. Maybe that is where these came from??

Any info would be appreciated.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Carlo Moretti Satinato Glass Set
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »
The only mention I have found of the black satinato pieces are on pages 185-186 of Leslie Pina's Italian Glass Century 20. Pina writes that they are ca 1960s. They are unmarked. To write a little bit about what she says: the 9" goblets (black stem) go for $35-45 each. The 6.75" wine glass (black stem) go $25-35 each. The 7" compote (clear frosted stem) goes from $40-50. Hope this helps some.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »
Designer is Umberto Nason who won the 1955 Compaso d'Oro for Nason & Moretti because it was the first time anyone made inverted colour cased wares.  I think these are quite rare - especially as sets and I would not rely too much on values from the PiƱa book.

Offline post50modern

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
Thank you for the further info! I just received an email from Carlo Moretti himself saying these were made in 1959, a year after he set up shop on his own. I was impressed that he took the time to personally reply to my inquiry. Mystery solved!

Offline post50modern

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »
I'd like to sell these glasses. Would you think it would be better to sell as a set or sell piece by piece?

Thanks!

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:48:19 AM »
Sets usually sell better in even numbers - you have odds from your pictures - why not try the odd ones first, then if you get the price you want, keep going, if not try in twos or fours.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
Must say though that it seems a shame to break them up!

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
It is a shame, but the question was about commerciality... sadly, that isn't always a good bedfellow with the aesthetics of a situation.....  :-\
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline post50modern

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 09:45:32 PM »
I have listed a pair on Ebay to test the waters. There are still 16 pieces left to keep together as a set.

see thread topic for sale info:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17704.0.html

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
I just received an email from Carlo Moretti himself saying these were made in 1959, a year after he set up shop on his own. I was impressed that he took the time to personally reply to my inquiry. Mystery solved!

I saw the email on your ebay listing. Just for the record, in Italy SRL is the equivalent of LTD, and you appear to have read this as meaning senior. An easy slip-up and not really a problem, since the email came from the company and confirmed the authenticity. It doesn't mean that it wasn't written by Carlo Moretti, himself, though!  :) Good luck with the sale.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand