No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Lamp - signed Degue ? Lagny ?  (Read 6692 times)

Offline fleamistress

• Members
The Lamp - signed Degue ? Lagny ?
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:26:49 PM »
I'm clueless.  
It's petite.  It's old.  
I don't know what to call the glass at all.  Slag?
It is signed, either masked (looks like) or etched.  
The sig, in script, looks like --jeguj; degiy; and so forth.

Please do not think that I haven't spent 6+ hours searching, including every variant of the signature.

Cheers!

http://tinypic.com/68ylcj.jpg

http://tinypic.com/68ylxi.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:47:02 PM »
Dear Fleamistress

I think it's brilliant that you've done some research first.  So many people come here and ask - and the answers easy to find for anyone on Google, so good on ya!   :D

Is this your signature?  http://tinypic.com/68ypuo.jpg
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline fleamistress

• Members
Butlins
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:54:26 PM »
Very, very close, Max.  Verily.  We may have a Bingo!  On this tho', where you have an "s" I have a character with a dipping stem and an accent mark.

Offline fleamistress

• Members
Degas? Jesus?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 10:56:39 PM »
I just went to your pic and can't figure out what yours says either.

What does it say?

Cyn
I am not a man either
but wish I was sometimes

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 11:21:28 PM »
The last letter is an E, and it does have an accent.  It's Degue (accented e)  :D

Cyn, you need to get Ivo Haanstra's (he posts on this board - lovely man!) Glass Fact File a-z.  It's such a useful book, every glass lover should have it.

Here's what it says about Degue:  Signature found on vases made by Cristallieries de Compiegne, designed  by director David Guerin (c1925 - after WWII) (art vases in the style of Galle, Schneider and Daum).

Try Google>Images>Degue, you might find something similar.   :)
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 06:17:16 AM »
I think it says LAGNY - a brand of deco cameo ware allegedly produced at Baccarat.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »
But Ivo this lampshade isn't cameo ...is it ?? .....or am I really going bonkers ? (possible) :shock:
and more Nouveau than Deco !!! :roll:
and Lagny (also ?) a Baccarat stemware pattern .... :?:
I still think it's the Pervian Squirrel personally :P
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
well spotted it is not cameo but frosted. Unable to diagnose your state of mind but doesn't look like bonkers to me  :D . Have to disagree on nouveau vs. deco, though - what I see in the pic is very Deco.
Never came across Lagny as a stemware pattern, but any fleamarket trawl in France will turn up lighting with the Lagny brand - usually hanging bowls, sometimes with three smaller uplights, in satinated or enameled ("faux cameo") versions.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 03:36:52 PM »
Hi folks,

I was very interested in what Ivo & Peter have said about "Lagny" pieces. A few years ago, in the original version of this Board, somebody raised a query about a "Lagny" cameo vase and I happened to also have one but could not find anything about the maker.

I appreciate that signatures often vary within companies but for info here's my example and views of the front and back of the vase (I suppose the front is the one with the raised Dragonfly body, but I prefer the back) ...

Sig: http://tinypic.com/69ls39.jpg
One side: http://tinypic.com/69lsns.jpg
Other side: http://tinypic.com/69lt21.jpg

I bought this vase in the mid 90s (1990s  :) ) and even the auctioneer commented "... not a lot of age to this one ...".

I did eventually get a response from other enquiries (can't locate that info right now) saying that Lagny was a modern company somewhere in or near Paris. Could it really be from the Baccarat works?

By the way, whether Cyn's lamp is Nouveau or Deco in style is something I could not say for sure but I don't think the signature of the lamp is the same as on my vase - but a clearer (non-flash) photo of the lamp signature would be useful.
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
..... saying that Lagny was a modern company somewhere in or near Paris. Could it really be from the Baccarat works?

Lagny-sur-Marne is around 40 kms east of Paris - but no glass house in evidence, dead or alive. Not a whisper of Lagny in the Guide des Verriers, either. The Baccarat reference comes from the classical art glass literature - in fact, I think it is from one of the early Cappa books - but the attribution may have well been confusioned by the Baccarat service de table named Lagny.  Wot sez Carolus about the Lagny mark, Frank?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand