No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Lamp - signed Degue ? Lagny ?  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The Lamp - signed Degue ? Lagny ?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 09:18:32 PM »

Hartmann says:

Lagny mark is c 1990 also signed as Le Maître and Le Verre (All cameo)

Company:
Le Maître
Glasgestalter, France dates unknown (But c1990)

Neuzeitlicher Kopist van Überfangglass in Stil der Firma Scheider Le Verre Français, der möglicherweise auch die Signaturen 'Lagny' (Lagny ist ein Ort östlich von Paris) und 'Le Verre' verwendet. 1930 produziert in Ponchon/Oise eine Firma Lemaitre Zerssäuber aus Kristallglas. Ob zwischen dieser Signatur und dem Betrieb ein Zusammenhang besteht, konnte bislang nicht nachgewiesen werden. Source: Katalog, Kunstgewerbemuseum Berlin 1994

Sorry, Carmen is sleeping and I am bushed

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 12:48:46 AM »
Thanks for the Hartmann text, Frank.

Ok, now I remember where I got the "near Paris" bit from ... Hartmann's massive tome. Trouble is, when I first tried a translation of the text (as posted above) it did not seem to make anything clearer. And now that I have tried again (at nearly 1:30 am, while half-watching the Glastonbury festival on TV) and using an Internet translator, it still seems uncertain.

Also, (and this is in no way getting at Frank) I am not convinced that  Hartmann's text, which is listed under "Le Maitre" rather than a listing for "Lagny", really helps much.

Am I right in thinking the basics of Hartmann's text is that "Lagny" is possibly a signature used by a modern company known as "Le Maitre" and that somehow there may be a link with the 1930s work of Schneider who also used the signature "Le Verre"? [The date of 1990 for "Lagny" is only listed in Hartmann in the section for "marks" - it is not stated in the main text and "Lagny" itself is also not shown in the main Index.]

By the way, according to Edith Mannoni in her book on Schneider, "Le Verre Francais" was one of the brand names for "lesser" pieces by Schneider. I suppose "Le Verre", as quoted by Hartmann, could simply be "Le Verre Francais" but missing the last part of the signature.

Anyway, I'm still as confused as I was a few years ago, and I still cannot find any other refrences to "Le Maitre" (or "Lemaitre") as a glass company or signature.

Can one of you linguists out there please give an accurate translation of the Hartmann text? And does anyone have any info on "Le Maitre"?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 06:25:11 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"

Hartmann says:
Lagny mark is c 1990 also signed as Le Maître and Le Verre (All cameo)

Company:
Le Maître Glasgestalter, France dates unknown (But c1990)

Neuzeitlicher Kopist van Überfangglass in Stil der Firma Scheider Le Verre Français, der möglicherweise auch die Signaturen 'Lagny' (Lagny ist ein Ort östlich von Paris) und 'Le Verre' verwendet. 1930 produziert in Ponchon/Oise eine Firma Lemaitre Zerssäuber aus Kristallglas. Ob zwischen dieser Signatur und dem Betrieb ein Zusammenhang besteht, konnte bislang nicht nachgewiesen werden. Source: Katalog, Kunstgewerbemuseum Berlin 1994

Company: Le Maitre Glass makers, France, dates unknown

contemporary copyist of cameo glass in the style of Schneider Le Verre Français, who possibly also uses the signatures 'Lagny' (Lagny is a town east of Paris) and 'Le Verre'.  In 1930 a company Lemaitre produces perfume atomisers in crystal in Ponchon/ Oise. If there is any connection between this signature and this manufacturer could until now not be established. Source: catalogue, museum of applied art, Berlin 1994.

looks speculative, to say the very least.  The source seems to refer to the atomiser firm only - not to the Lagny mark.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 09:35:44 AM »
The convention in Hartmann is to date each signature in the marks section.

Without seeing the source he refers to it is hard to know how he made the connection, but as each signature has the same text it might be safe to assume that all three were referred to in the same catalogue.

Sklounion

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:52 PM »
Ivo wrote:  
but no glass house in evidence, dead or alive.
According to the history of the commune, the first glass-works was built at Lagny sur Marne, in the 1750's and was known as the verrerie de Bagneaux. website reference to follow. http://dgw77.free.fr/histoire.htm
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 09:11:04 PM »
Just goes to show, everything gets forgotten until it gets on-line.

I suppose the challenge is gathering this data while it is available as it could vanish as easily.

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 09:38:09 AM »

Offline ligea

• Members
    • http://www.genuinestainedglass.com
LAGNY
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 08:12:24 PM »
:twisted: I have a gorgeous Lagny genuine cameo glass lamp that is on a par with Galle lamps in terms of workmanship, and certainly dates from 1900-1930.  The wrought base is, I believe, also original as it has leaves that complement the detail in the shade.  I would like to hear from anyone who knows anything certain about the Lagny manufacturer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand