No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this 12-in green glass posy vase be Monart?  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Could this 12-in green glass posy vase be Monart?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 03:22:35 AM »
Brilliant, thank you Nigel, Bernard and Frank for the education! Interesting point about the bubbles, Frank. They don't appear to add a great deal aesthetically, do they.

My mushroom posy has a roughly polished pontil with a bit of the break scar still showing, and is a much lighter green more consistent with Geoff's illustration. At some stage I'll dig it out again and try for a better photograph, just for the comparison - unless someone else has one that they'd like to add to the mix.

Roynmargaret, You might like to start another thread for each of the other pieces you have. That way they will each get the proper attention.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:16:49 AM »
Certainly NOT rare, Nigel and I would have handled dozens of these over the years, I often get pictures of them in the email asking if they are Monart and they pop up frequently on eBay UK where they fetch a few pounds.. so don't get too excited.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 06:47:32 PM »
Hiya,

Thanks for making the point about how often these bowls turn up, Frank  ;)

Bernard, I am with you on this. Since there is no positive attribution for this particular group of posy bowls they could come from anywhere, including, of course the UK, so it is important to be circumspect. However, it seemed pertinent to draw attention to the assertion most often made over the years, without any positive proof. I certainly was not saying in the absence of any other satisfactory explanation, 'let's call 'em Czech!'

Frank has a labelled piece on his website of another, similar styled, item, and I have owned another (in my case the sort with diagonal stripes and mica); each have/had Czech labels. Certainly not proof for the posy bowl in question, merely a parallel that may have relavance in view of similar characteristics used in the production of the various pieces.

Until such time as some form of proof occurs, you are right to suggest other sources for thier production.

Kind regards, Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
What do you think about the bubbles Nigel?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
Hmmm,

The bubbles, the bubbles.......... which also occur in a very similar way in Gray-stan.

Sadly, the only ex-Nazeing glass-blower that I am aware of who may have been able to make some comment about this bubble effect in Nazeing pieces is no longer with us, having passed away about 18 months ago. I'm sure Adam may be able to make some comment about the technicalites, but I will leave commenting further until either after the 18th, when I can make a direct comparison between a posy bowl like this and pieces of Nazeing from various eras - or until I can route around in the loft to check my rogue's gallery of mistaken identy pieces, whichever is sooner :)

Kind regards, Nigel

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
Email request for resurrection of original images has been sent.

And now, less than 30 minutes later, they are set up in the original post.
Thanks to RoynMargaret for the extremely rapid response. ;D
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand