No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone tell me anything about this Strathearn?  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Anyone tell me anything about this Strathearn?
« on: October 13, 2007, 08:03:03 AM »
I think this weight is a Strathearn, but it looks a bit out-of-the-ordinary to me, as the centre two circles of canes are smaller than I've seen in other Strathearn weights.  Can anyone tell me anything about it?  Like, who / when / etc.?
Any info you can give me would be most welcome. 
Thanks I.A. 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Anyone tell me anything about this Strathearn?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
I'm bumping this for another go.

I really have tried myself to find the canes and/or a similar weight on Richard More's site, but with no luck.  PLEASE can someone help me?  I think it looks a like a Strathearn P8 but I see that Richard has some of a similar layout which he has subsequently found to be Perthshires!  Should I be looking through my Perthshire book again? 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »
Their paperweight vases have quite tiny canes. I'll compare my vase with your weight when I get home

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
Hi Leni,   :hug:

That's interesting about the Perthshire possibility,  I tend to think of Perthshire in terms of very sharp canes, with the Strathearn ones reminding me of sea anemones, that sort of cone shape? 

So did Perthshire use the anemone canes too?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
I'm really puzzled about this one, Lynne.  I had always thought, like you, that Perthshire canes were a bit sharper, but there are a couple of weights on Richard's site which he says he has discovered were not Strathearn but Perthshire, and they  appear to have the slightly more 'squishy' (and that's a technical term, I'll have you know! ;) ) canes I have always associated with Strathearn, but are a bit smaller - like the ones in the middle two circles of my weight.   

I was beginning to wonder what I'd done to upset the experts around here, like Kev and Ray, :-[  :cry:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:51 PM »
I am sure you done nothing to offend, but if they cannot add anything straight off - they could well be ferreting out information and IF found report back.

It gets tough to see all the posts these days, I usually only check glass, weights and cafe - but rarely view all the glass or cafe threads. A time thing  :mus: :sleep:

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »
me an expert i dont think so LOL, but the outer cane's do look like them crab stick's you can buy
cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
... but the outer cane's do look like them crab stick's you can buy

Which of course are not really crab meat, so not a great comparison....  ::) on the other hand a great comparison considering the question!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »
No canes matches but my vase certainly has some tiny canes, they don't even look big through the glass and the magnifying glass, and some of the colours look the same - the dark blue and the bluey green for a start

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Leni, I am not ignoring you (how I could I ever do that?). But I did not see this first time around - I sometimes miss various messages if I don't look in regularly.

Your weight could be either later Vasart or Strathearn. There is no problem with having a mix of different size canes. Perhaps this happened more with Vasart than Strathearn, but I have no sure facts to back that up.

My weight shown in this link has a cane match with yours - both in the outer rows. I have suggested that mine is "transitional" because I can't tell whether it's Vasart or Strathearn.

And my weight shown in this link has the smaller inner cane set-up. This one has a Pirelli label proving it's a later period Vasart.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand