No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bucka & Nissen, Copenhagen  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Bucka & Nissen, Copenhagen
« on: October 09, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »
Recently got a small cut glass vase with a Bucka & Nissen label. Having done a quick Google, I've ascertained that they mostly dealt with porcelain, but my Danish isn't good enough to figure out if they were a retailer, importer or manufacturer.  :huh:

Found a couple of pieces of Bucka & Nissen labelled glass online, and they all seem to be very Swedish-looking pieces - as is my vase.

I'll put up some illustrations when I get chance, but any help is gratefully received.  :)

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Bucka & Nissen, Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:22:26 AM »
Hi Nic, long time no hear, how are things?
 Found out a bit about Bucka & Nissen for you..
Company started out based in Flensborg as a hardware and fancy goods store, importing and selling Bavarian porcelain.
In the war of 1848 it supplied the Danish military with brandy, bitters and other millitary requirements. On the 11th January 1849, the company adopted the name Bucka & Nissen, after the two founders.
 Following the war of 1864, the company split up with Bucka remaining in Flensborg. That branch existed until 1937.
In 1865 Nissen opened a shop in Copenhagen which was in business up to 1968. They had monopoly on the sale of Villeroy and Boch in 1919.
Seem to be best known for import and sale of porcelain.

Hope that helps a bit  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
Hello Aine,

Thanks so much for that - it confirmed my suspicions that they were an importer amongst other things. Going to be tough finding out who actually made the vase, but I suspect Swedish. I'll try to get some photos up today.

Have you received any of my last few emails?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »
Haven't received any mails since the 3rd. July!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »
Gah - pesky email. I'll try mailing you from a different account in a few days after I've taken some time-out for some real R&R now that my site is live. Hopefully this one will arrive!  :)

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:02:48 AM »
Look forward to that  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand