No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Walsh Walsh+Royle Pattern Prices  (Read 1294 times)

Offline janiwani03

• Members
John Walsh Walsh+Royle Pattern Prices
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:05:14 AM »
I cannot seem to find any price list for my rather large collection of John Walsh Walsh Royle Pattern Crystal . Does any one have an idea where to find a place of could anyone give me a value on the peices I do have? Thank you Jani

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: John Walsh Walsh+Royle Pattern Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
Jani — What a pleasant surprise, for several reasons.

As Royle is not a Walsh cut pattern I have ever seen, I had not realised that it went further than just the jug at Reynolds fig.166 and the A5861 and A5882 decanters, nor had I even thought about the name Royle, obviously a range launched to coincide with and commemorate the 1937 coronation.   As such, like many other Walsh patterns, it would have been available on any Walsh blank, subject to the constraints of the cut.

The pattern itself is interesting, as it shows strong Georgian influence.   I cannot help wondering whether it sold well into the antiques trade, like several other Walsh patterns of the time.

Back to your question.   "value" could mean anything from what a house clearance dealer would pay for it, through what you would pay for it in an expensive city centre antique shop, to replacement cost.   In this case the last of these could easily be ten or twenty times the first, so you will appreciate that virtually all of the experienced commentators on this GMB are reluctant to give money values, as they will invariably be wrong!   The most accurate way of assessing value is to sell the item on eBay, with a low starting price, and postage & packing extra at cost.   If you want to keep it, then you are probably best seeking a valuation from a reputable auction house like Sotheby's or Christie's, who will define what they mean by value.

Although Royle was almost certainly designed by Walsh's in-house designer, Clyne Farquharson, it is not one of the Walsh designer signed ranges, like Leaf and Kendal, where the demand lies, mainly because of the simplicity of collecting and dealing in them.   Hence I think patterns like Royle are undervalued at present, although this is changing with a small but growing number of collectors.

Is there a chance of any photographs?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline janiwani03

• Members
Re: John Walsh Walsh+Royle Pattern Prices
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:00:46 AM »
Yes Bernard I do have the Jug and Three of the decanters.As well as low balls , hi balls, waters, liquers, cordials, and some bowls..they are fabulous!! I got them from some folks who are relatives of British royalty. I am planning on keeping them. I just didn't know how to value the collection. I wasnt even sure of the vintage either. I figured 30's-40's but just was a guess. I will take pitures this weekend and get them posted...Jani

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand