No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flint Glass. What is it?  (Read 6151 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline aa

  • Glass Professional
  • Members
  • ***
  • Posts: 1835
Re: Flint Glass. What is it?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »
Flint is 1/ a technical term for early lead glass and 2/ used as a term for clear glass by some glassmakers.

A very fair description. But while no 2 is correct, it is not really in common usage among artists and collectors these days. With the exception of Whitefriars collectors I have only heard one or two people use the term in the last 20 years. :) However its use is still widespread in industry:

You would be unlikely to hear the term in the glass department at Harrods, these days.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Look for glass on
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Look for glass on (us)
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand