No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fazzoletto vases  (Read 11439 times)

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« on: June 25, 2005, 12:32:38 PM »
Hi there

Just wondering if anyone else collects fazzoletto vases? I am just starting out, am in the process of purchasing a gorgeous white and green latticimo/zanfirico piece - quite excited! :)

Cheers
Amanda.

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:06:49 AM »
do Venini fazzolettos all have a smooth base? I saw one on eBay with what I think is a pontil mark... its slightly recessed... kind of like a bellybutton? lol

Amanda.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:22:15 PM »
Venini fazzolettos always have either a flat polished base, or an indented polished pontil. They will never have a rough pontil mark or a rounded base.

Laura

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 05:09:30 AM »
Hi Laura

Thanks for that info. I think sometimes that I might have bitten off more than I can chew by starting out on fazzolettos! *lol*

Will try and post a pic of my new purchase soon.

Cheers
Amanda.

ps. Laura, you have a really nice website - love your photos - how do you photograph them? I want to take some really good ones for insurance purposes... might have to hire a professional to take them for me!

planetglass

Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »
Hi Amanda,

Regarding photos, I shoot with a white, grey or black background, depending on piece, with an Olympus camedia camera. I don't do anthing fancy regarding lighting, although I'm sure this would get me a better result. I tend to move back a bit (to reduce glare) and use the flash with most items. I also crop, sharpen and usually brighten my photos afterwards in photoshop.

Laura

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:18:36 AM »
Laura, do you use a macro lens or anything of the kind? I always find that I have issues shooting good close-up pics.

Oh by the way - here is a pic of my fazzoletto :)

The seller has informed me that there is a partial Venini acid signature on it - it's a small one at 2.75" in height. I bought it for just over 90 euros.

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 09:26:24 AM »
pps. I asked a question on an online auction on a fazzoletto with a rough ground pontil. The seller replied that the fazzoletto was delicate and "a rough ground pontil is not unusual on delicate pieces where grinding the base smooth would mean grinding into the inside".

Is this right? None of the real Venini fazzolettos I've looked at on the net appear to have rough ground pontils. (Thanks Laura for the good advice a few posts above too!)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 12:29:48 AM »
Here are 3 vases in my collection:

The large Orange and White is Venini (2000 - signed+label) and the other 2 are vintage pieces. Personally I like the White and Black the most.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline lenore

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 03:42:12 AM »
Javier,
My eyes  :shock:  immediately gravitated to the orange and white one. It figures it is the Venini one! :lol:
Its just outstanding!
Lenore

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 06:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I specially like that on the Black and White Fazzoletto vase, the black is actually Matte on the outside and looks like a snake skin pattern, but is shiny inside. Pretty unusual I think.
The Orange Venini fazzoletto vase is the tallest I have, 8 1/4" tall. The color is just sooo bright! After I bought it I saw a Blue and Gold Flecks (also Venini signed) one on Ebay but was outbid. I really wanted that one!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand