No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fazzoletto vases  (Read 11437 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »
I'd really like to see more photos posted on this topic, if anyone wants to contribute! Being that the Fazzoletto design is one of the classics, having a gallery like this to showcase them is excellent. I hope the topic doesn't get left behind :(

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 11:06:41 AM »
Hi all

Yes do post more pics - I am starting to download onto computer all fazzoletto pictures that I come across. It doesn't take too long to realise which are Venini (or at least mid-century Murano! lol)... a lot of sellers definately don't describe things well!

My fazzoletto arrived within a week (ex Germany) and wow it's so small, I didn't realise it. It has a very small partial Venini acid stamp. It's the two-line one I think, can't quite make out if it's 'Venini Murano' or 'Murano Venini'. You really have to tilt it at just the right angle AND have the light just so in order to make it out. It's so pretty too, not as fragile as I thought it would be (but I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune if it breaks!)

At the moment I have mine displayed on a table next to our living room floor-to-ceiling window which gets lots of sun. The colours won't fade I hope??

Cheers
Amanda.

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 11:08:44 AM »
ps. Oooh forgot to mention that I saw a corroso fazzoletto on a website (can't remember which one, there've been so many!) and all I can say is... I want I want I want! :)

Amanda.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 10:17:51 AM »
Hi,

Just managed to pick up a fazzoletto – or at least I assume it could be classified as one?

:: Click Thumbnails to enlarge ::

:

The only reason I query this is due to the canes going around the vase, rather than vertically, although I notice Javier's 'Everton Mint' is similar in this respect. Nice stripes as well; a mixture of aventurine and red, with much finer black, green & pink interspersed.

Also has a label that I've listed on the Labels thread.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »
Hi DenCill,
I think it is considered a Fazzoletto vase, and about the decoration, well it doesnt matter, what makes it a "Fazzoletto" is the shape.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 05:44:41 PM »
Javier, that's fair enough. The reason I queried the decoration was if it was 'flattened' it wouldn't really look like a handkerchief!  :)

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic?  :roll:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 06:21:19 AM »
Here's another sample:

I also bought another vase recently, and I when I took it out of the box it was actually signed "venini murano italia" underneath! I'll post a pic soon!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 06:26:04 AM »
It appears to me that on some vases the acid-stamp is very difficult to spot unless you're actually looking for it. Another lesson learned :)  :shock:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 06:45:28 AM »
I know!
Sometimes you cant even photograph it. Its just the way the light hits it that shows it, and sometimes you only see bits and pieces, like the dot over the " i " which makes you dip and turn the piece every which way, until you can see the actual signature. Thats how I found out I had a Venini signed cornucopia designed by Bianconi!!! :D
This has actually happened to me 4 times already. You just have to really look, even if at first you dont see a thing. Different reflections of light will bring out the signatures too. I used to just check under daylight, but I found out that is not really the only way. I also tried putting the pieces under a normal house lamp and that has helped me take better photos of the signatures. Yes they might look washed over and yellow, but you will probably have a better detailed signature than in daylight. Sometimes the glare of daylight can be too overpowering.  
Also, if you have a digital camera with zoom, this will help alot! You can really study the bottom of a piece under the glare and not go blind by trying too hard, lol.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Fazzoletto vases
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 06:52:36 AM »
Thought I'd better check the only fazzoletto I have that could possibly be Venini - but no... :cry:

Thanks for the tips though, Javier — I didn't actually think it was that hard to see the sig, so maybe I should check all my other pieces too :shock:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand