No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Parerweights and Labels  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Beth

• Members
Murano Parerweights and Labels
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
Hello, I recently bought these Murano Paperweights at an Estate Sale for Ada Belle Spencer (she was an opera singer) I was wondering if I could get a date as to when they were made. This is the first time posting here and I am not sure of what I am doing yet :huh:
Here are 2 of the paperweights. Thank you for any help!
Beth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Parerweights and Labels
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:45:44 AM »
I have a paperweight that is like your two. I also have not figured out who made it. My paperweight looks superficially like Fratelli Toso in having the canes set into a bed of aventurine, but the base is very different. The base of my paperweight has edges that look melted, instead of the crisp ground, polished base that is typical for Fratelli Toso. The aventurine also looks disorganized. I wondered if someone might have tried to polish the bottom of my paperweight using too high an RPM setting and caused some melting. It is difficult to tell without knowing the history. What are the bases of your paperweights like?

The labels are generic, so don't give much information beyond that they were made in Murano. The canes are carefully placed, so they are good paperweights, especially if the base on yours does not look like mine.

Sorry I could not be more help,
Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Beth

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:05 AM »
Anita, thank you for looking! The bottom are smooth.......Hope that helps you?

Beth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »
I've seen that rooster sticker on stuff I know is Seguso. While those cane clusters look a lot like Fratelli Toso they are actually Seguso. They are a little 'softer' and more free flowing than the FT canes they resemble. I have two Seguso weights that have a garlands of those cane clusters
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand