No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walter Thornhill  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Walter Thornhill
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »
Does anyone now when Walter Thornhill & Co., 144 New Bond Street, London. Retailer - Cutler, Silversmiths, Bagmakers, & c., Established 1734. closed down?

Googling brings up lots of pieces attributed to him as the maker,  :-\ there is also some glass, including mostly superb examples, in his 1894 catalogue that states that some are registered designs and also some with suggestions of items being Thornhill design but often in that ambiguous manner which leaves you wondering!

Clearly a retailer that liked his name on things but just as clearly not the maker that some auction listings would have you believe. What Thornhill items are in dealer stocks, they correctly ID as a retailer, are serious money.

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Walter Thornhill
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:46:13 PM »
Frank try here, they have a library http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welcome/

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
So late Victorian version of Asprey's.
Did not register a sponsors mark in 1734, so probably bought out someone else.....
Certainly does not show in Jackson's as early as alleged, or as a maker at any time in London, hence no sponsors mark.
M

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »
Goldsmiths are helpful. Although there records are sometimes incorrect. My last enquiry failed but I later found the answer and they were able to correct it.

Marcus, I noted that where a piece of silver had a makers mark it did not relate to their name. Look very much like an Asprey's style of operation, Royal Warrant and all

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:09 PM »
Very typical. Item could be designed by "a", made by "b" and sold by..... Anyone.
Interestingly, if he is still alive, a man surname Sparrow, could lay many of the myths of 20th century silver.
You clearly need to talk to people like Norman Bassent to get to the bottom of things.
Contact me in a couple of weeks, and I may be able to forward your research.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand