No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness news  (Read 7633 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Caithness news
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
I think it is important to keep a balanced view about this.

I hadn't seen these pieces so I was intrigued by the comments above and I had a look. I can see that they are unlikely to appeal to conventional paperweight collectors. But this link shows http://www.caithnessglass.co.uk/store/comersus_index.asp that they are listed not under paperweights but under "art glass".

I was quite impressed with the sandcast collection by Sarah Peterson, which seems to have a freshness that has long been absent from British factory glass. Large traditional companies need to embrace new ideas and new markets in order to survive and need to adapt to changing market conditions and I don't think it is appropriate to criticise Caithness, at this point in their fortunes, for trying to do that.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 10:53:45 PM »
I can see both (all?) points of view on this.  But I think the point Simone is making, and with which I can agree, is that Poland and China are just two areas producing Art Glass very similar to what Sarah Peterson is doing, but they charge £5 for it, not £50.  Sadly, the 'giftware' buying public don't care if the quality of the glass is inferior, the price difference is just too great!  Caithness - and Dartington - must realise this!   
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 11:12:54 PM »
Sarah Peterson's work since 2002 is shown here on Scotland's Glass
Not comprehensive as I lack the 2003 catalogue and am not sure when she started, I like her stuff too.

There must have been some market success or she would not have ridden through those 5 years to her present success.

Does anyone know if the animal range were marked, I have been asked but not having any don't know?

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 11:33:06 PM »
People like John Deacons (and son Craig), Willy Manson (and son William) and Peter McDougall (and son Allan) are all continuing to make and sell high quality weights!  I don't think they are "on their last legs"!  Let's hope that Allan Scott, Shona, Helen, and maybe even Harry can get together in future and do the same.  Any philanthropic millionaires around who want to make an investment?  ;)
Leni

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 11:46:20 PM »
Leni, if I had a million to spare, I'd not think twice about setting them all up in their own production. Or, if I can find 10 people with £100,00 to put into a worthwhile project.

I think that Allan's lampwork is the closest to the high end American weights. I've not seen Willie Manson turn out any of that quality. And John, Willie and Peter do turn out good quality weights, but are no spring chickens. They've not got any apprentices, so the art will eventually be lost.

Caithness at least provided the opportunity for apprenticeship, such as Linda Campbell, who was made redundant in the last round, and is now studying accountancy, but is a real loss to the paperweight world.
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
Leni, if I had a million to spare, I'd not think twice about setting them all up in their own production.
Me neither, Simone!
Linda Campbell, who was made redundant in the last round, and is now studying accountancy
Now that is one of the most tragic things about this whole thing!  :o That, and Harry McKay doing gardening!  >:( 

But don't dismiss William Manson Jnr, who has come back to paperweight making doing very good lampwork, and John & Craig Deacons are making some wonderful millefiori weights together, as well as some excellent lampwork.   Even though I agree Allan Scott is tops for lampwork in the UK, and as good as any of the top Americans, I don't see the others I mentioned as being quite 'past it' yet!   ;) 
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:06 AM »
And of course I forgot to mention Peter Holmes, who is now working with and passing on his skills to his son Andrew! 
Leni

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
Linda Campbell, who was made redundant in the last round, and is now studying accountancy
Now that is one of the most tragic things about this whole thing!  :o That, and Harry McKay doing gardening!  >:( 
I was gutted when I heard of all that talent going to waste... :cry:

And it really was a portent for the future...

Quote from: Leni
But don't dismiss William Manson Jnr, who has come back to paperweight making doing very good lampwork, and John & Craig Deacons are making some wonderful millefiori weights together, as well as some excellent lampwork.   Even though I agree Allan Scott is tops for lampwork in the UK, and as good as any of the top Americans, I don't see the others I mentioned as being quite 'past it' yet!   ;) 
I hope they make it through the next couple of years, because economically, we're going to have really hard times... and when they come through the tough times, they'll be stronger and will still produce some excellent work.

We'll just wait and see now what the future holds... (now where's that crystal ball?)
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 05:19:46 PM »
Further to this topic about paperweights, |i have just suggested to Mike  and Sue Hunter of Twists Glass Studio that he apply for a grant to The British Glass Education Trust, ( which I chair since 1982), to help him produce and market a new range of paperweights for the US market. I cannot, for reasons of confidentiality), say what type of weight I believe would sell well in the US and other overseas markets, with a Scottish connection, that suits Mike's style.I treasure a weight I bought recently made by him that gave me the idea.
His skills also include some very good air twist stem reproduction goblets! Originality of design and technique help make paperweights collectable, and there are still some very fine artists left!
I am delighted to hear Dartington Glass is doing well. We sell some of their products and some Royal Brierley in our factory shop, with pride! Even better news is that some of Frank Thrower's designs are being reintroduced  to mark the forty years of Dartington Glass! there are millons of young born since the production of many of these designs ceased, and would appreciate the unique design talent that Frank had in spades! remember he re -introduced variants of Georgian glass ( "Victoria..a bit on the side---board!", Rummer  Suite & Ship's decanter, "any port in a storm?") with a modern twist.....
Stephen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »
Gosh!  Someone else I forgot!  Mike Hunter is another star of paperweight and other glass-making!  You see?  There's plenty of talent and examples of skills continuing and being passed on! 

Thank you, Stephen  :hiclp:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand