No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Cheese Dish ID = 'Owl and Pussycat', attrib. Adams & Co  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Georgeinthehat

• Members
Hello All,

I have been trying to identify the pattern / maker of this covered cheese dish for years, but have been unsuccessful. I call this shape a “flat covered cheese dish” as an identically shaped set (with different pattern motif) is pictured under ACTRESS in “Early American Pattern Glass 1850 - 1910” by Bill Jenks and Jerry Luna.

The ball shaped finial sitting above a squiggly edged matte finish panel . . . and the distinctive vertical ribbing on the outside lip of the under tray on my example is identical to the one shown in the reference book, but mine features a pressed motif of an owl and a cat in a variety of poses.

The under tray has a diameter measuring 8 inches and a height of about 6 ½ inches. I believe my set to be an old one as the glass “feels” right, there is wear consistent to what one would expect on older pieces, and I purchased mine fifteen years ago in Newfoundland, Canada.

The example pictured in the Jenks / Luna publication is called “The Lone Fisherman, Two Dromios base” which has lead me to speculate that the ACTRESS pattern may have actually been produced with more than one primary “motif”. The relish dish and spoon holder also pictured do not look similar to each other, to the “Lone Fisherman” example, or to mine. I don’t have a lot of knowledge about pressed glass, but most patterns I have observed tend to be consistent throughout the product lines . . . with slight pattern variations from tumbler to butter dish . . . etc.

In my opinion the pattern itself is a little on the “harsh” side. The owl and cat are depicted in a variety of natural poses, but in one the owl has a firm grip of the cats tail in its beak. The final pose molded into the underside of the base shows the cat hanging upside down by its tail from the beak of the owl as the owl rests on a brick wall.

In closing I’d just like to say that this one really has me stumped. I’ve looked everywhere that I can think of for information, and am hoping that one of you may recognize the piece or know something about it. Thank you all, for your very kind assistance.

George Webb

Moderator: George's pictures added for him after resizing

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: ID Help With Pressed Glass Cheese Dish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »
Hello George:

This cheese dish is called "Owl and Pussycat".  It is a singleton - there are no other associated pieces.  There is no proof as to the maker but it likely was Adams & Co. of Pittsburgh, PA.  This tentative attribution is based on the design similarities to the Actress pattern cheese dish.  The Actress pattern was introduced by Adams in late 1879 as their "Opera" set.

There is a design feature common to all of the Actress pieces - there is a shell on all of the pieces.

Offline Georgeinthehat

• Members
Re: ID Help With Pressed Glass Cheese Dish
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:59:59 AM »
Thanks Sid! I really appreciate your kind assistance.

George

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand