No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ended Ebay Auction - Is this huge (and really awesome) bowl Kastrup?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline shandiane78

• Members
I bought this on ebay - Item number 130157917266. I've been doing some research, and the deep purple stripes inside look a lot like those I've seen in some Kastrup vases. What do you think? At first I thought the bowl might be Murano, but I'm definitely leaning toward Scandinavian now.

Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline shandiane78

• Members
Re: Ended Ebay Auction - Is this huge (and really awesome) bowl Kastrup?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:32:12 PM »
Here's a direct link, if people don't want to search by item number:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130157917266

Moderator: Long link shortened
Shannon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
Here's a Kastrup piece for comparison:

http://tinyurl.com/2rjcwd
Shannon

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »
I'd say no to a Kastrup attribution. I would say that your bowl, striking and decorative though it is, is probably also fairly modern and quite likely Polish in origin.

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Thanks. Can I ask what leads you to this?
Shannon

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
The finish of (or, rather, beginning of) the spiral decoration at the base of the piece seems very half-hearted. Kastrup, at the time of producing the decorated vase you linked to, were trying to overshadow Holmegaard as an art-glass factory, and so their decorative output between 1957-1965 are most often of exemplary quality. This is why, when Holmegaard merged with Kastrup in 1965, many of the Kastrup designs were retained - the coloured cased Gulvvase by Otto Brauer being the most famous example.

As for the Polish attribution... this is where most fashion-lead and slightly copyist glass of this nature has come from over the last couple of decades, along with China. More recently I believe there's a lot of big inexpensive glass coming out of India and Turkey too.

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:43 PM »
Thanks nic, for you opinion! I think this is a high quality piece, and the bottom does have wear that would suggest some age. I haven't seen anything like it in recent import glass (from Poland, China, etc, and I look at this stuff A LOT), but I will keep looking along that avenue, and also continue to look at Scandinavian glass. Do you think it could be Scandinavian?

I'm trying to trust my guts to some extent. The last time I thought I had something really nice, no one I asked was able to ID it, and someone suggested it could be from TJ Maxx or such. Well, after selling it, I asked the buyer and he was kind enough to tell me it was Leerdam. He got a great deal, and I got a little education, so I guess that's a fair trade, but I still wish I'd held out and had it properly ID'ed before selling.  I'm sure it would have made 3-5 times what I sold it for. :cry:

Thanks again!
Shannon
Shannon

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »
Do you think it could be Scandinavian?

Without a label or signature anything is possible - I only really know Kastrup and Holmegaard, and am frequently flummoxed by other glassworks. My first instinct is still Polish, though, based on the quality of the finish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand